Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-05-NWA-Clash of the Champions XII] Sting vs Black Scorpion

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. The crowd is hot for this, but Sting seems anti-climatic after the reaction Flair and Luger got earlier in the show. He unmasks the Black Scorpion, only to find that he has another mask under it. Then, the Black Scorpion stands at the aisleway, and the angle is that he didn't face the real Black Scorpion. Sting sells it as well as he can.

Jim Ross interviews Sting after the commercial break. Sid Vicious quickly interrupts them. He tells Sting he's the man Sting has problems with, not the Black Scorpion. Sting tells him if he wants a match to go ask the championship committee (first ever reference?) for one, but he has a lot on his mind at the moment. Sid attacks him for the snub and Sting's first program is set up.

I still think Sid should have feuded with Luger for the U.S. title, while Sting and Hansen headlined Havoc, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

"There's only one World Champion, and he's the guy right here with the pink boots on." Quote of the year. All the talk about the belt dating back to 1905 is particularly galling considering any goof in a mask can apparently get a title shot.

Sting gets the duke and then tears the mask off to reveal a red mask underneath. Then the familiar hooded figure appears in the rampway and stares down Sting, who acts like he's seen a ghost. Ross and Caudle sell this as best they can. Sting cuts a frustrated interview afterward admitting he couldn't get the job done tonight, and then Sid Vicious comes down to demand a title shot of his own. Sting tells him to take his case up with the Championship Committee, which only serves to get him attacked when he turns his back. Sid screams at us as we go off the air.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m not recognizing who the Black Scorpion could be. Sting wins with the Stinger Splash. But there is another Black Scorpion who shows up on the ramp. Sting didn’t accomplish what he meant to do as he still doesn’t know who the Black Scorpion.

Sid wants Sting to know that he sure be worried about him. Is Sid’s fly open? I guess when you rule the world you don't have time to focus on your zipper.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This angle continues to make Sting look like a complete loser. Okay, so he's disappointed at not unmasking the real Scorpion. All well and good. But what kind of hero, what kind of fighting champion, blows off a challenge like he does to Sid here? I've actually seen this type of angle once or twice before, and it never makes the champion look anything but weak. Sting has it worse, because he's trying to live up to the champion's reputation set by Flair of being ready for any type of challenge, wherever it may come from. Championship committee, my clavicle. He deserved the beating he got from Sid on camera, and he should have delivered a similar real-life beating to the person who thought that making him look so weak was actually a good idea. Again I ask: Did Ole and company really want Sting as champ, or did they only give the belt to him because Flair demanded that they do so? It sure seems like the latter to me.

By the way, I guess they didn't think much of the Scorpion as a challenger either; he's the first "main eventer" I've ever seen be pinned clean by the Stinger Splash.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

So I'd never seen it before and I could have told you that the "first" Scorpion was not the guy in the interviews or whatnot. The post-match Scorpion looked a little better, but really, Sting was shocked at this? Ole must have really had a bone to pick with the NWA's booking at this point.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-05-NWA-Clash of the Champions XII] Sting vs Black Scorpion