Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-08-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Wrestling Wrap Up: Sting & Black Scorpion

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They really needed a definitive resolution in mind to start the angle, but it comes off as though they're winging it.

The Scorpion is constructing a gift for Sting. LOS ANGELES...'86...ON THE BEACH. THINK ABOUT IT.

Pay close enough attention to this one and you can clearly make out Ole's Minnesota accent through the distortion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We talk about how stupid the voice distortions and the multiple Scorpions were, but this really wasn't done any favors by Sting either. If he knew this guy in LA, there has to be something about his physique or way of moving that at least jogs a memory. A World champion simply shouldn't be as dense as Sting's being made out to be here. I'm not saying he should be telling the audience who he thinks it is, but he should be saying things like, "I think I might have a handle on him. I'm not going to tell you what I know, since that would take away my advantage over him, but I have some ideas, and next time I wrestle him, I'm pretty sure I can beat him once and for all."

Did WCW think that they could actually convince Warrior to leave Vince's belt behind and jump, or was that just what they wanted the audience to believe? I've heard the story both ways; I can't think of where I saw this, but I've seen at least one site that said they made an offer to Warrior which was rejected out of hand.

• 1 year later...

Of course this is silly and bad and whatever else, but theoretically, if they had just done this as an experiment or something to give Sting a feud for a Clash, I think it's a much more interesting feud than if they did a throwaway title defense with a random heel (I can't even think of who's a believable title challenger heel at this point, Butch Reed maybe?) but the fact that this went all the way to the end of the year AND there was no actual resolution for it is the really disappointing part.

• 8 months later...

Jim Ross is joined by Sting on the Wrap Up, and says how this Wednesday night was one of the most bizarre nights he’s ever witnessed. He beats the man, unmasked the man and all of a sudden they see the Black Scorpion isn’t in the ring at all. Sting says how he pulled one mask off and the guys got another mask on, he then glances up in the audience and there he is standing in a robe, and guesses that must be the ‘real’ Black Scorpion. He still has no idea who he is and why he wants him, and Ross says that the only clues they’ve been able to find out from his interviews are 1986, California and that Sting wouldn’t recognise him if he saw him anyway.

Tape of the end of the match from the Clash airs and then we get another statement from the Black Scorpion. He says he’s making a little present for Sting, everybody else wants to take something from him, but he wants to give. In a while he may even show him what it is. He has another clue: Los Angeles, 1986, on the beach. He tells Sting to think about it and he hopes he’s slowly losing his mind. While the Horsemen and Sid want his belt, he wants his life!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-08-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Wrestling Wrap Up: Sting & Black Scorpion