Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

The last segment of USWA Texas on the yearbook, and the last TV show before Jerry Jarrett temporarily lost the territory. Austin attacks Adams a few minutes into the match and Jeanne and Pringle attack Toni at ringside. They immediately try to cut her hair, but Adams clears the ring with a chair. Then Pringle's hair almost gets cut, and eventually Adams almost gets another haircut. This feud did live on for the rest of the year in Kevin Von Erich's TWF, but had no TV to promote it.

• 2 weeks later...

USWA-TX had the most hilarious misnomers for jobber names. "Skull Jones" should not have a hi-top fade. Really boring squash that's saved by Austin, Jeannie, and Pringle. Almost everyone involved almost gets a haircut and it'd be interesting to see if this built to a legitimate head-shaving payoff. But we'll never know. This wasn't one of the top segments of the feud but this promotion will be missed. Looking forward to the 1991 stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

A double hair vs. double hair mixed tag match would have been awesome. Sad to see USWA TX go as it has been probably one of the most consistent promotions we have seen this year with consistently great angles anchored by Adams vs. Austin and some good matches including breakout starts like Billy Joe and Gorgeous Gary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Skull Jones, shockingly, is not bald.

And on the baldness motif (for lack of a better word), should the Hair Match have happened, I'd figure it being 3 on 2 with Pringle getting pinned and getting the shave, but alas, we never would know. Maybe Austin but, really, a bald Steve Austin??? Nah, never work.

• 1 year later...

And so we have the build to a hair match that, as far as we know, never took place. This was a rather chaotic segment, as it seems that everyone but Craig barely avoids getting a haircut.

Toni carrying Jeannie's hair around like she does here seems a bit off-kilter. Usually it's the heels who brag in that fashion, like Ken Patera and John Studd did after they cut Andre's hair years ago. I wonder if Toni kept those locks of hair like Studd supposedly did; the story goes that Big John kept the hair he cut from Andre during that angle long after it turned gray.

Nice to see Chris working with the "We Want Jeannie!" chant that started during his squash. I honestly couldn't tell if it was a splinter faction who honestly wanted to see Jeannie get revenge on Toni or if it was a group who wanted to see Toni finish the job on her. Given how Chris and Toni have been acting lately, I suppose it could go either way.

CVE more than likely came back to this feud in some form or fashion once Kevin's promotion took over from Jarrett.

I realize that all five of the people involved had ties to Texas and probably didn't want to move, but with a little explanation and a few well-done video packages, this feud could have gotten over in Memphis. The only thing Jarrett would have had to watch out for is not to turn Austin face accidentally with too many prolonged beatdowns on Adams. Maybe a valets tag would have sold: Jeannie and Kim vs. Toni and Vicious Vicki. Ah, the possibilities............

And that's it until January. Apparently Craig came to Memphis for a while as a house show announcer, if I read right. Can't wait to hear how he does!

Craig popped into Memphis for the tournament later in the year and for the TV show prior to it. He also did some ESPN tv tapings held in Louisville and Nashville when it looked like Pediceno was going to buy the USWA. Other than those times, Craig never spent any time in Memphis. We ended up with Cory Macklin instead. I still wonder what we all did, USWA fans, to deserve that.

• 1 year later...

Skull's gear has some proto-Stone Cold elements to it. So this is the last of not only last televised segment of Austin/Adams but of the whole promotion for the year? Kind of bitter sweet. I've said before that I was experiencing some fatigue with both this and Memphis, but especially this promotion. But now that the end has come, I just don't know how to feel.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-08-USWA-Championship Sports] Chris Adams vs Skull Jones