Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-08-USWA-World Title Tournament] Terry Funk vs Brickhouse Brown

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was terrific. Everything -- from the spit revenge spots - to the overselling of Brown's lame offense, to the brawling in the crowd, to the cheap method for winning, to Funk's obnoxious post-match celebration is so, so good. Terry Funk is a pro. Shows what I know.

I love the setting already, with a full camera crew in the MSC along with the announcers, even if we don't really need 3 of them. Funk does the greatest oversell for getting spit in the face in history, and as a result turns this into a ringside brawl. Brown makes an okay comeback but takes one too many trips up top and Funk reverses a sunset flip into a tights-grabbing victory. Another fine Funk performance that whets the appetite for more to come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was a wild performance that I didn't quite expect out of Funk; I expected him to save his best for the tourney's later rounds. But he makes Brick look like a million bucks here and gives him a match that he should be able to hang his hat on for years to come. I actually thought for a second that Brick might go over as an "anything can happen" upset, but there was no way they'd pass up a potential Lawler/Funk confrontation at some point.

Terry may be capable of wearing many faces, but he sure packed the "crazy" one for this match. I've never seen anyone fly over the guardrail after his opponent spat in his face before. He also seemed determined to make Brick a part of the broadcast the hard way with his attack on the broadcast table. I'm not sure Craig recovered for the rest of the match (and I don't blame him).

Nice to hear Dave Brown on the broadcast team with Craig and Joe Pedicino. I think this was Columbus Day evening, so he might have had the day off at WMC. Regardless, this is such an upgrade over the usual MSC announcing that it's not funny. I like how Joe put over Jerry Calhoun as a top-level official who was uniquely qualified to work a match involving someone as nutty as Terry, and I also chuckled when he talked about the WCW referees drawing straws to see who had to work Terry's matches, which sounds like it could be true even if it's not.

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament. It should be something else!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-08-USWA-World Title Tournament] Terry Funk vs Brickhouse Brown