Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-08-USWA-World Title Tournament] Austin Idol vs Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Gilbert looks great. I'm not a fan of Austin Idol in the ring as a rule, but this is a good few minutes. I could see including this (and Dundee/Callous) in full on an Errata. Another screwjob finish, as Sam Lowe throws in the towel, but I'm over it. It's Memphis.

He was never great, but I think '80s Idol is a lot better than his rep--"carry job" or not, he's been in an awful lot of pretty good matches to have the all-talk-can't-work label. That said, that was the '80s and this is 1990 when he's only semi-active. But this is perfectly acceptable with a surprise finish as Sam Lowe throws the towel in when Idol applies the Las Vegas Leglock. Even if it wasn't an actual submission I'm glad to see a match end with a submission hold, and the struggle to get the Leglock untangled was a nice touch in getting the thing over as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A couple of interesting things here. One, Idol's a babyface, at least so far. I liked how he made sure to point out to Lawler in the postmatch interview that friendship is friendship, but the title is more important. I'm sure we'll be revisiting that statement as the night goes along.

Second, there's dissension between Gilbert and Lowe, as Eddie clearly didn't want Sam to throw the towel in for him while he was caught in the Las Vegas Leglock. I don't think anything was ever made of this; if there was, it didn't happen in the month of October. Still, it shows just how badly Eddie wants the title and the prestige that goes along with it. We also saw him shove Lowe during his brawl with Jeff at the MSC a couple of weeks later, so I'll be waiting to see if and when Sam might have enough of Eddie's bullying, like Nate Whitlock had of Lawler's earlier in the year.

Third, what was up with Eddie supposedly offering Idol $60,000? Even if he'd have bought what turned out to be Idol's spot in the finals, it wouldn't have gotten him the belt as Joe implied; he'd have still had to face Lawler. I know how much Eddie hates the King, but sixty grand for the chance to get your butt kicked by your most hated rival? I think I would have passed, thanks.

Lawler/Gilbert seemed to be the logical tournament final under the circumstances. Why didn't they go with it? I can't wait to find out!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-08-USWA-World Title Tournament] Austin Idol vs Eddie Gilbert