Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-13-USWA-Memphis TV] Bill Dundee and Jerry Lawler / Austin Idol and Eddie Gilbert promo

Loss

• 2 months later...

Dundee calls Lawler at home. He is asking to team with Lawler on Monday night in Jeff Jarrett's place. (Jarrett was touring Japan, as you saw.) Lawler accepts. The Gilberts and Dirty White Boy attack Dundee while Gilbert taunts Lawler on the phone. He puts the figure four on Dundee, which they are now pushing as a killer move, and Jeff Gaylord and Danny Davis eventually make the save.

Gilbert and Idol (wearing a raspberry beret of sorts) cut a pre-taped promo with Idol explaining his heel turn. I don't know why Idol is so offended. He has done some terrible things to Lawler in the past himself. But people have short memories in Memphis. He talks up his amateur credentials and this is a good promo, although I suspect his claim to have won every single gold medal in the country can be challenged.

Gilbert tells everyone to learn to love it.

Dundee is on the phone offering to take the injured Jeff Jarrett's place teaming with Lawler at the MSC when he gets mauled by the Dirty White Boy and the Gilberts, while Eddie keeps Lawler on the line so he can listen in. Apparently Gilbert has learned the secret of the Las Vegas Leglock as he applies it to Dundee.

Idol hasn't lost a step at all when it comes to working the stick, as this is an absolutely fabulous promo. Idol was a two-time NCAA Champion at Oklahoma State and WON OLYMPIC GOLD IN WRESTLING AND POWERLIFTING, and deplores Lawler's tactics in the tournament final when Idol wanted to wrestle him amateur-style. It's hard to completely overshadow Eddie Gilbert in the promo department but Idol comes through here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dundee calls up Lawler to be his tag partner this monday night as Jarrett was eliminated by Gilbert and Idol. Lawler agrees. Dundee gets jumped by Gilberts and Tony Anthony. Eddie brags on Lawler who is still on the phone and then puts the figure on Dundee.

Idol gives a great promo talking how he has always been there for Lawler but Jerry turned his back. Gilbert seemed to enjoy just listening to it.

• 2 years later...

Tremendous stuff, as Eddie seems to have made a new friend in Idol. They've eliminated Jeff Jarrett, and now they're after Dundee and Lawler. I haven't seen the title tournament stuff yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing just how the final between Lawler and Idol went down, as I suspect Idol just may be stretching the truth a bit. I'm no amateur wrestling buff, but I'm sure someone in the pro ranks would have told me that Idol had been a two-time NCAA champion if that had been true. I don't recall seeing the name McCord (or Idol, for that matter) on any program about multiple gold medalists in the same Olympics either, come to think of it. :D

Seriously, it's refreshing to see someone on Memphis TV other than Eddie who can talk on Lawler's level; it makes the playing field more even. Whether his outrage is hot air or not, Idol makes a believable case against the King given their history, and there have been times that Lawler would have been up against it if it wasn't for him. I love how Eddie knows just when to let someone else do the talking and come in for the clincher at the end, and it sounds like he's learned a little from Ric Flair during his time in WCW with his "Learn to love it!" tag line.

The attack was well done for what it was, but isn't Lawler presumably supposed to be watching the program and know what's going on? Why did Dundee need to tell him about any attack on Jarrett right then? Wasn't he watching the start of the show when Dave (presumably) told the audience what happened to Jeff, or worse yet, been at the MSC while it was happening if it happened there? For a promotion which usually pays close attention to details, this is a big lapse. Not a fatal one, but one that's definitely noticeable to the home audience if they're paying attention.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-13-USWA-Memphis TV] Bill Dundee and Jerry Lawler / Austin Idol and Eddie Gilbert promo