Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-13-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Oktoberfest!

Loss

• 2 months later...

After a commercial break, the Bushwhackers are cutting the cheese (not like that) and they're awfully excited about it. And later in the show, Lanny Poffo is making sausage stuffing, with Gene calling him the sausage stuffing champion. Make your own jokes. I don't know what Lanny Poffo said, but I'm laughing that he rhymed a German line with Orient Express. Jim Neidhart and Slick have a dance-off which is tremendous. A food fight starts when people start bumping into each other. Bret keeps his sunglasses on for part of it, which gives him an unfair advantage. Neidhart is having a blast!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I liked the Wild Kingdom stuff a lot but this was better. Gene saying that about the Genius was so wrong on so many levels but I did laugh. Genius making a poem in the middle of the contest was awesome. Bret in this environment is awesome. Neidhart had the time of his life between the contest and the danceoff with Slick.

• 2 weeks later...

Genius is having fun. Duggan and Neidhart look naturals dressed up. Hayes enjoying a beverage. Bushwhackers cutting the cheese. The pounded that joke into the ground. Hayes a few drinks in now. Gene calls The Genius the master sausage stuffer. Ah, I do laugh. Wasn’t this suppose to be kid’s TV? Maybe they didn’t get that line. Genius does crack me up though.

• 2 years later...

Some of this wasn't too bad. I liked the Anvil having a danceoff with Slick, and the stuff with a drunken Lord Alfred was cute. But the food fight was kind of lame; they've never been able to top Butcher Vachon's wedding on TNT when it comes to food fights. The Bushwhackers' segment would have been okay if they hadn't had to pound the phrase "cut the cheese" into the ground like a tent pole, and all the sausage stuffing contest did was make me wonder why the Orients weren't getting a tag team title match against the Harts.

Poor Akeem. He didn't get a thing to do all night long. No wonder he left soon after this.

It's amazing that they were able to find German-style outfits that fit all these huge guys. Sincere congratulations to whoever handled the wardrobe for this show; he/she certainly earned their pay.

I can't figure out whether Vince might have actually forgotten to put on his outfit and had to go out in a tux or whether he showed up in formal wear so he could sit back and laugh at the rest of his employees looking like total dufuses. Maybe NBC dictated that he wear a tux on camera, but it's hard to imagine that they'd care that much about the show at a time when the wrestling business had cooled off to the extent that it had. My guess is that Vince wanted to have his jollies at everyone else's expense. Hey, whatever turns the boss on.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-13-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Oktoberfest!