Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-20-WWF-Superstars] Jake Roberts vignette / Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Jake's bandaging is removed. The shock of Jake not having a pupil on his affected eye was a pretty shocking moment at the time.

Rude calls Boss Man's mother an array of names, saying her breath smells like an overused barf bucket. Heenan adds that those are her good points. Rude getting out of the WWF was good for him, because he reinvented himself to be more serious, and he was put in these hokey angles.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still getting freaked out watching Jake's treatment.

Martel gives us a preview of the Axe/Tag body spray ad campaign--Arrogance will make babes 18 to 80 crawl all over you. You'd think Rude and Martel would be natural allies--or enemies. Rude is back to being a cartoon character--he's trying but this material is not what he needed at all. I prefer Heenan trying to paint himself as standing up for all the prisoners that the Boss Man abused in jail. I wonder how long they were sitting on the idea of Nailz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll say this for Rude; he's doing the schoolyard bully routine very well after being oily and sleazy for so long. I like that he doesn't apologize for his comments; in fact, he restates them and dares Bossman to do something about it. Heenan's golden here as the protector of prisoners' rights everywhere. Interviews like this are what I'll miss when he goes to the booth full time.

As for Jake, he continues to make you feel his pain whether you want to or not. The visual of the pupil in one of his eyes being burned away not only puts over the damage done to him, but gets Arrogance over as something more than just perfume. Vince and Rod do a good job of this as well, implying that Arrogance has an industrial-strength odor of some sort, almost like it's drain cleaner or something similar, which we all know can mess up an eye horribly. That's a tremendous amount of detail for a WWF angle.

I'm looking forward to the next segment if it is what I think it is.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-20-WWF-Superstars] Jake Roberts vignette / Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan