Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-20-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Dirty White Boy & Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...

DWB has a picture of Brickhouse Brown dolled up at MSC from the recent angle, and calls him Sweet Georgia Brown.

Doug Gilbert has a list of top contenders for the tag titles and reads a list of 60s and 70s tag teams, which is pretty funny. Way down at the bottom of the list after those names is Brickhouse Brown and Danny Davis.

Dirty White Girl has improved a lot on the mic, but she still isn't exactly good.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty White Boy has offered to set up Brickhouse Brown on a date, and produces a picture of the Dirty White Girl's maid, "Sweet Georgia Brown"--Brickhouse in the wig and make-up from the past studio angle.

The USWA went over its Unified title rankings earlier, which is a nice touch. Doug Gilbert complements that by running down the top contenders to the Tag Titles--fearsome names such as the Fabulous Kangaroos, the Interns, Kurt & Karl Von Brauner, and Ken Raper & Freezer Thompson. Oh, and Brickhouse Brown & Dan Davis at #100. Dave Brown's exasperated reactions to the names are what really enhance this.

DWG has sort of developed a ditzy rich-white-trash persona. She gets the champions' challenge over, at least: Davis & Brown can have a title shot if they put up $5,000 that they've previously won from Doug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was tremendous. You can tell that Doug and Eddie were huge fans of the territory growing up for Doug to be able to come up with that many teams from the sixties and seventies that were credible names then, but would be laughable as contenders in 1990. I half-expected one of them to come out and challenge Doug and Tony right then and there.

Dave's reactions were priceless; you could tell that he was exasperated with the charade, but at the same time he couldn't deny that the teams Doug mentioned were tough in their day. He had to walk a bit of a tightrope so as not to offend the older viewers, and he did so expertly.

I didn't much care for the photo of Brickhouse that Tony showed. I wasn't a fan of the makeup and dress angle to start with, and although the feud's finally going places as a result of Brickhouse and Davis's upset win, it didn't need to start the way it did.

I disagree with Loss about Kim not being a good talker in general, but she wasn't at her best in this segment. It might be that she's better at putting herself and her own feuds with valets over than she is at putting over her men, and since there aren't any women for her to work with right now (Vicious Vicki seems to be nowhere in sight), that doesn't bode well for her as far as continuing to give good interviews is concerned. I did like the "queen of cool" line, but her nervous laugh after she delivered it killed the effect.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-20-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Dirty White Boy & Doug Gilbert