Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 2 months later...

Lawler talks about the rough travel schedule of a wrestler. In a moment that makes me love the yearbook concept, he talks about an upcoming show in Philadelphia he's working to prove his point, and we will have footage from that show waiting on us.

He's here to plug his new hotline. 1-900-654-5464. $1.50 for the first minute, $1.00 each additional minute, in case you're interested.

Hotlines in general were the scam of the year, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Travel can grind on Jerry Lawler, but as long as the wrestling is fun he's going to hang in there as long as he can. I wonder if he had 2012-13 in mind at the time.

Lawler hypes up a wrestling hotline--get his thoughts on Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan! Leave messages! Wrestling hotlines weren't the scam of the year, ALL hotlines were the scam of the year. I remember them being absolutely ubiquitous at this time, wrestling-related or not. Thank God for the interwebs.

Sadly we don't get to see Lawler take on M.C. Slammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The first part of this interview, where Lawler opens up about the toll that travel takes on a wrestler, is fascinating. Unfortunately, the second part is a shill for his new hotline. It's reasonably priced compared to the others, though; only $1.50 for the first minute and a dollar for each additional minute. That's so the poor people of Memphis can connect more affordably with their hero, you understand. I wonder how many of them actually called this hotline and what they got for their money.

I wonder who this M.C. Slammer that Lawler wrestled after this interview became, if anybody. He sounds like a cross between P.N. News and the Big Bossman.

I believe Lawler wrestles Eddie Gilbert on that Philadelphia show which he references here.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler