Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Bill Dundee / Jamie Dundee promo

Loss

• 2 months later...

We start with a clip from MSC of Jamie Dundee getting the win for his team in a six-man tag team with his dad and Jerry Lawler. Eddie Gilbert runs out as soon as the match is over. They handcuff Bill to the ring ropes. Meanwhile, Tojo Yammamoto throws powder in Jamie's eyes and all the heels beat the shit out of him and leaving him a bloody mess. They sell this as a hardcore angle.

A somber Dundee is back at the studio, wearing sunglasses and all dressed in black. He vows revenge. We cut to a tape of Jamie and Bill at home. Jamie has stitches in his mouth, but he too vows revenge. He wants the little "slant-eyed Jap" to get out here. He's furious and wants everyone to come out. The studio is in a stunned silence. This is great!

On a side note, I think what I got from this is that Dick Murdoch, Chris Champion and Lou Fabiano are a stable, managed by Tojo Yammamoto and Downtown Bruno. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

SHEIK FABIANO. Fabulous. Jamie already has a nifty finish in his holster, using Bill's aid to climb down Fabiano's back from a fireman's carry and sunset flipping him for the pinfall. But the babyfaces pay for it afterward. Bill gets handcuffed to the ropes while Jamie gets busted open and salt/powder thrown into his eyes. We even get video distortion on Jamie's face to sell this further.

Dundee introduces a home video and Jamie either authentically had the shit beaten out of him or has a great make-up job, as he looks like he's been through a car wreck as he barely is able to mouth words of revenge through a swollen jaw. Bill goes from somber to fired-up and furious. The Internationals will be taking on Bill Dundee, Chris Champion, and Dick Murdoch! A babyface dream team...er, of sorts. Dundee continues to rant and the studio is EERILY silent.

Just when I think Dundee has no more awful tights he busts out this sunset tie dye zebra print ensemble.

Clips look good and they pixel Jaime when he hits a gusher. Bloody night at the MSC. Jaime cuts a great freaking short promo against the Internationals. The Internationals are scrubs but this is totally carried by the face side.

• 2 weeks later...

Dundee all in black. Clips from past monday nights match. Jamie Dundee gets the pinfall for the win. Bill gets handcuffed to the ropes. He’s forced to watch Jamie get beat up. They blur out the bleeding of Jamie. Bill is worked up! Really good promo by Dundee. I don’t know much about the International Group he is feuding but this made me want to see Bill beat them up.

• 2 years later...

Wow. I've never seen Bill quite this fired up before, not even during his days as the most dastardly heel Memphis had to offer. You can almost reach out and touch his anger once it's unleashed. Jamie doesn't say much, but gets his point across just fine.

Jamie must have really bled badly for WMC to ask that his face be distorted. I'm assuming it was their call, because Jarrett's shown stuff just as bloody as this, although most of it was live. It looks from the home video footage that Jamie was either legitimately beaten up in the ring (though why would the people who did that to Bill Dundee's son still have jobs?) or got into an accident of some kind outside the ring that this angle was a cover for.

It seems that Chris Champion has been brought out of his shell, so to speak, and is going to team with Bill and Dick Murdoch against Tojo and Bruno's men. I wonder what caused Jarrett to (wisely) pull the plug on Cowabunga. Was it fear of a lawsuit by the creators of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, did the gimmick just plain not work, or (more than likely) both?

• 1 year later...

Bill is usually really cool and collected which really makes this fired up revenge promo great. I really like this. The pixelating of the blood and the injury is a great touch too, as it looks super brutal obscured like that. Jamie Dundee seems to really be taking a beating so far, and I guess all of the injuries are worked? He looks terrible.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Bill Dundee / Jamie Dundee promo