Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-27-NWA-Halloween Havoc] Sting and the Black Scorpion

Loss

• 2 months later...

Sting does a rambling interview and can barely say anything right. The Black Scorpion interrupts him. He steals a female crew member and makes her disappear. One of the worst segments ever on PPV and to top it off, the PPV version of this show included credits for the company that did the magic tricks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sting legitimately sounds like he's on something--indeed, the precise opposite of the "tunnel vision" he talks about. Scorpion does a birthday party-level magic trick with a female crew member and sets off a random fireworks display. An absolutely asinine segment on every conceivable level.

I don't know how but I had forgotten how awful this was. Definitely one of those embarrassed to be a wrestling fan moments. My favorite part of this was the crew trying to hold Sting back from going after the Scorpion yet they had no problem and sat on their ass while their "crew member" got yanked by this weird guy in a black robe.

• 2 weeks later...

Sting doesn’t want Sid to make the mistake of letting his butt overload his you know what. I don’t. Sting is excited. He’s all over the place actually. Black Scorpion shows up. He grabs some young female fan and decides to do a magic trick. That was awful. Ross, “I can’t believe what we have just seen.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

For some strange reason I thought the Scorpion turned that girl into a live leopard, and in looking for that leopard I missed part of the segment the first time I saw it. Where was my head, you ask? Probably in a better place than the head of whoever approved this.

Upon second viewing, this just felt cheap. Is that all the Scorpion has, a bunch of parlor tricks? Nothing about physical prowess, wrestling ability, mental toughness? His entire game plan is to make Sting's head as soft as a grape, and then.......what? Take the title? How are we supposed to know that the "real" Scorpion can wrestle? This is even too damned stupid to be something that the Horsemen cooked up. A joke's a joke, Ole, but this bullshit's gone way, way too far. We're talking about devaluing the title territory here, and I don't throw that phrase around as lightly as some. The scary part is, I know there's more to come!

The poor girl who was made to "disappear" was probably the best actor in the segment. As noted earlier, the Stinger was all over the place; if you listen closely, he actually thought for a second that the Scorpion's voice was coming from Tony Schiavone, of all people. As for JR, he's awfully calm for someone who just witnessed the most dazzling magic trick in the history of wrestling. I get the feeling that he thought enough was enough by now, too. God bless Heyman for saving this whole mess to the extent that it could be saved; he was most likely the only one in the entire UIC Pavilion who acted like he took it seriously (except for the girl, of course).

Finally, a rhetorical question: If you were a WCW referee and you'd just seen the Scorpion make an audience member vanish into thin air, wouldn't you restrain your World champion so the same thing wouldn't happen to him?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-27-NWA-Halloween Havoc] Sting and the Black Scorpion