Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-29-UWF-TV] Captain Lou's Corner: Bob Orton

Loss

• 3 months later...

Albano talking to Orton like he's a rookie is funny. "I know all about your father, but tell me about you." This segment is good, clean fun, with Albano dropping one silly witticism after another. Orton takes a shot at Captain Lou's body, which makes Lou take his shirt off and strut his stuff. Orton almost loses it. This is a must-see!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I would have expected just a bit more heat between these two given their past, but they act like a couple of old pals who were having a few drinks at the Penta Hotel bar and decided to come upstairs and do an interview segment just for the hell of it. Orton doesn't even try to keep a straight face while reacting to Albano's antics, and thank heaven we were spared a head-to-toe shot of Capper's fat in all its glory.

In the midst of all the hilarity, Ace actually cuts a nice promo on the likes of Nikita, Orndorff, and Blair, none of whom he was ever programmed with in the UWF to the best of my knowledge. Orndorff/Orton would seem to be a natural feud given their WWF history, but Abrams put Orndorff with Doc instead.

I thought it was comical that Albano namedropped Barry O as if he was the one with the big-time career. You can't tell me that wasn't meant to get a laugh from big brother Bob.

By the way, Albano actually wrestled and played football at Tennessee, though I seriously doubt that he was an All-American in either sport. In his book, The Wit and Wisdom of Captain Lou, Capper admits to being kicked out of school due to a barfight. Yes, most of the book is kayfabe, but this is the kind of thing that it would make no sense to lie about.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-29-UWF-TV] Captain Lou's Corner: Bob Orton