Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-10-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk

Loss

• 3 months later...

Last few minutes of good action, which sees Funk win the USWA title. I'll never complain about Funk beating anyone, but I wish he would have been in the studio every week while holding the title. As he previously promised, Eddie Gilbert interferes and distracts Lawler. Eddie Marlin holds Gilbert outside the ring to keep him from interfering, but the damage is done, as Funk socks Lawler with a chain to get the win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I guess Jarrett figured that Lawler/Gilbert was so hot that the title didn't need to be involved to guarantee a big house. On the other hand, what good putting the belt on a guy who's leaving for Japan in a little over a week does is totally beyond me, especially since he's going over there strictly to be in a tag team tournament, with the title not even an afterthought. On the third hand, Memphis makes its real money with Lawler chasing the title and regaining it from the heel of the month, so things ended up just the way Jarrett liked them.

What we saw of the action was good as always from these two, but the booking got in the way more than a little bit. Gilbert probably should have won the title as a result of Funk's interference, not the other way around. I hope he gets the belt eventually after all this buildup. If not, Jarrett will have missed a golden opportunity.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-11-10-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk