Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-17-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 3 months later...

Gilbert really wants us to just humor him and go through the top ten. He's carrying a crown and insisting that he's the new King. He immediately chastises Dave Brown for the lack of excitement he has over announcing him as the Southern champ. Terry Gordy, Paul Orndorff, Ricky Steamboat, Steve Williams are all listed despite not even being vaguely associated with this territory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anybody get the feeling that one of the Jerrys got SportsChannel America and was watching Abrams' UWF? The USWA Top Ten is doing more for good old Herb than it is for Memphis. Which UWF superstar's going to be on the list next week? Nikita Koloff? The Viking? Davey Meltzer?

Eddie sort of petered out once we got past the first few names; I was expecting a mini-rant on each one. I like how the only thing he said about Murdoch was "He drinks a lot of beer."

I wonder why the UWF didn't have Lawler come in as the Unified champion, since they never had an equivalent tile of their own? The best they did was a SportsChannel TV title. It had to have something to do with finances (or lack thereof, more than likely) on Abrams' end.

Dave was great here too; he's trying not to openly advocate for Lawler in front of Eddie, but anyone who's watched Memphis for longer than five minutes knows that he and every other official in the promotion wants Lawler to shut him up and drive him out of town. Eddie knows this too, of course, but doesn't give a damn, which is part of what makes this feud the compelling viewing that it is.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-11-17-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert