Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-24-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert vs Jamie Dundee

Loss

• 3 months later...

Before the match, Gilbert invites Joey Maggs to join the Memphis Mafia. He also encourages him to use his real name - Joseph Magliano. Dundee is pretty green here, but Gilbert carries him to a nice match, working over his knee after he trips on a leapfrog. Jamie submits to a figure four. Not often we get a relatively clean studio match in the USWA. Better late than never.

• 3 weeks later...

I found an Observer where Dave speculated that Black Magic was Mike Awesome. Hard to say, but it's quite possible. Joey Maggs is now Joseph Magliano, experiences the greatest moment of his life by being invited into the Memphis Mafia.

After yet another great promo from Gilbert, Jamie comes out to "Ice Ice Baby" and Gilbert and Lowe generously declare this a Southern title match. Dundee gets in a few moves but lands wrong on a leapfrog and is decisively--in spite of some interference from Sam Lowe--beaten.

Joe Maggs with beard. Gilbert offers him an invited to join the Memphis Mafia. Watering down the group!

Doug has agreed to put up the Southern title. Dundee hurts his knee and Gilbert attacks the leg. He bends Jamie’s leg around the ring post. Gilbert gets the figure four and Dundee gets his shoulders counted down. Felt like a squash to me.

• 2 years later...

The promo to start this segment was vintage Eddie, with him introducing Black Magic as his bodyguard and inducting Joey Maggs into the Memphis Mafia. Ken Wayne is also a member, which explains his turn on Danny Davis a few weeks ago. It seems like they were looking to add Davis to the list of wrestlers who had a problem with Gilbert, but I don't recall seeing anything on either the '90 or '91 yearbooks involving the two of them. It's too bad, as that could have been a nice spot show feud.

As for the match, it's a tad pathetic when Sam Lowe has to interfere in order for Eddie to beat a green rookie, Bill Dundee's son or not. I guess the Southern belt being on the line raised the stakes enough to justify it, but it still makes Eddie look weaker than he should if his feud with Lawler's going to keep going strong. Jamie looks decent for what he is, but he's not ready for this kind of match, either in the kayfabe sense or in real life. He needs a bit more seasoning to be taken seriously as a singles contender.

How small did Jamie have to be here to give up what Dave referred to as a lot of weight to Eddie? Eddie never weighed more than 220 in his whole career that I know of.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-11-24-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert vs Jamie Dundee