Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-14-EMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 3 months later...

Hate is a virtue. This didn't let me down. It was everything I hoped it would be from the two best wrestlers in the world. It had all the blood and excitement I was expecting, and it was cool to see this side of Dandy in a singles match, since his other singles matches that I've seen have all been mat clinics. This was a magnificent display of violence. The October match was one that had something for everyone. This one has a very specific audience in mind -- those who want to see Dandy and Satanico get mean and nasty. And on that promise, they overdeliver. The final stretch of nearfalls is possibly the best I've ever seen in lucha libre, and the finish is an absolutely brilliant moment of payback for Satanico. He managed to keep his hair earlier in the year, but he wouldn't be so lucky this time. Another classic for both guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I said on the podcast a couple of weeks ago that I have seen plenty of great lucha matches but have yet to find one I could emotionally connect to like American and Japanese matches. Even Azteca/Dandy was a mesmerizing clinic for me and not an intense journey through the match. That thought has changed with this match. The lucha version of Tully/Magnum with intense hatred and brawling that builds up for 30 minutes. The closing exchange with both guy pouring blood and trading near falls is something I won't ever forget. The ending with the payback spot was perfect. El Satanico has this look throughout the haircut that he can't believe they fell for this shit which is just the best revenge thing I have seen. The match of the year and one of the best matches I have ever seen. Period.

Well, here's that Dandy brawl I was waiting for--he's put on a clinic in every other type of style this year (well, except shoot-style, I guess). I think we have a new MOTY. I actually wasn't that high on the finish as I watched it live--we got enough fake fouls in their last match. But reading the reviews here I think I'm coming around, and that's enough to put this back in the #1 spot. This had everything--sick amounts of blood, some great crunchy flying moves, technical work, epic near-falls, and guys getting dropped on their heads. I love how Dandy doesn't lose his edge even though he's working technico--he's still a crafty bastard and that's what gives him the winning edge in the end.

This completely met my expectations, which is really saying something given the years these guys had and the quality of their Oct. match. Each fall was a fucking war, and the stretch of nearfalls at the end was ridiculous. I liked that, even as they beat the piss out of each other, they showed how deep they could dig into their reservoir of wrestling moves. It was a desperate fight but a desperate fight between superior craftsmen. I was interested to see how others reacted to the finish. It was definitely a Sopranos ending in the sense it made you think about the nature of the series more than it delivered easy satisfaction. But I dug it. The morality between these two was never straight black and white. Tough call between this and Dandy/Azteca for MOTY. In the end, I'm a blood-and-guts person, so I'll take this.

Satanico attacks before the match and they still go through the ring introductions. Satanico dominates early but Dandy ends up pulling out the first fall. They could have easily just had Satanico win that fall so nice that they went in the other direction. Satanico hits a dirty looking low knee. Random clips of Octagon and Guerrera warming up backstage. Not needed. Some great reversals in third fall. I normally hate referee making decisions when they didn’t see it but it totally worked here playing off an legit low blow that caused Dandy to lose the second fall. I wasn’t as big on the first two falls but the third was great stuff. They replay of a different angle makes it more awesome of the finish.

Pretty much everthing I'd hoped it would be. Dandy didn't even make it to the ring with forehead intact. Satan controlled the early going but it never got too one sided. It was a mixture of brawling and high impact moves, little of the fancy stuff here. Gritty and intense. I particularly enjoyed in the segunda caida when they briefly teased the 2-0. There was also Dandy refusing to quit in several submissions that would've ended a regular match. Then at the dawn of the tercera they were attacking like wild animals, tearing and biting as Nico also tasted the tinto. There were near falls aplenty and great exhaustion selling. I understand that with the finish they were saying that 'There is no honour in war'. But as a great wrestling match it wasn't how I wanted it to end, and wasn't as satisfying as the rest of the contest. Overall a fantastic battle with both men equally magnificent.

• 11 months later...

Previously at PWO:

El Dandy vs. Satanico, hair vs. hair, 12/14/90

This was a big hair vs. hair match from Arena Mexico that topped off a spectacular year for El Dandy. I'm not a big fan of hair vs. hair matches, not even the El Dandy ones -- expect for the Pirata Morgan one, that's an awesome match -- and this match doesn't get a lot of play. El Dandy and Satanico are two of the greats, however, so this has enough touches to make for an enjoyable contest. Not a classic, but worth watching as part of the 1990 stretch of great lucha. The finish was awesome, and I'd venture to say, a finish that could only work in Mexico.

• 1 year later...

For the finish alone, this was a classic. Satanico is hosed out of the match for the one and only dirty maneuver he didn't perform in the entire half hour after jumping Dandy before the ring introductions were finished and spending the first two falls and the start of the third trying to disfigure him permanently. Dandy manages to fight back despite practically bleeding out five minutes into the bout and manages to steal the first fall before Satanico ties things up.

Not only does the finish signify how far Dandy will go to win, it also points out his desperation. He can't possibly last much longer after the beating he's taken and he knows it, but losing his hair to such a heated rival is unacceptable, so he goes back to his rudo days for a finish that he knows perfectly well is about as cheap as they come and hopes that the referee buys it, which he does. I'd like to think that the ref wised up to what Dandy was trying to do, but refused to reverse the decision because of Satanico's actions in the first two falls; he certainly didn't deserve any benefit of the doubt. In the end, the chagrined look on his face as his head's being shaved says it all. So does Dandy's unrestrained joy at having put one over on Satanico; he does everything but dance a jig right in the poor guy's face.

The finish doesn't take away from the great action that went before, though it will always be what this match is known for. The blood and brawling are off the charts; they almost bust out the wrestling moves because they can't think of any other ways to hurt each other. Also, Satanico's mounting frustration over Dandy kicking out just before several three counts, due mostly to the agonizingly slow counts by the referee, is a sight to behold.

One thing that was absent: weapons. I don't even remember any chairshots; whatever damage was done happened as a result of the opponents' bodies and the ring itself, which is rare in a hate-filled match like this, and also kind of refreshing after so many ECW and indy matches where the participants literally use everything that isn't bolted to the floor.

This is definitely my lucha Match of the Year. I'm not sure if I'm going to post my final overall rankings or not; I've completely forgotten to keep them up, and I'm not all that big on rankings and ballots for wrestling anyway. Suffice it to say that this is most definitely one of my top matches of the year overall. It's matches like this that inspire me not to completely give up on lucha despite my frustration with the trios style, which unfortunately persists, although it's not quite as bad as it used to be. Maybe '91 is the year in which all will finally be revealed, so to speak.

• 1 year later...

Just watched this match today for the first time. With all the hype both of these guys are and we're getting for the GWE project I decided to watch this match. I only saw both guys a handful of times before this when watching other guys. Really wish I did see more of them now.

This match did not disappoint. What a great violent lucha match. I was really blown away. Words really can't do this match justice. Loved how Satanico attacked the cut of Dandy. Just great work from both guys with a real sense of urgency and struggle. I initially didn't understand the finish. I had to rewind it a few times as I was wondering what Dandy was doing jumping around on his knees and pointing. Now that I see what he was going for I love it. I love clever finishes and this one has it. I didn't even know it was a hair match. Which would of even added more to it if I knew that beforehand.

Really wish I would of had more time to dig into these guys for the GWE project. I simply ran out of time.

• 1 month later...

I can't really add anything else here, this was gritty and raw and emotional and really great. Pretty exhausting to watch actually. Man, El Dandy....

The hair cutting part was straight up hard to watch, with the sweat and blood and matted hair all being mixed together and cut by another person. Really nasty stuff.

• 3 months later...

Really enjoyed reading the review from garretta, and there isn't really much to add after all the other great reviews (that I agree with). This blew me away. Kind of like Pete, I wasn't very high on the finish at first. But, after reading the reviews and thinking about it a bit more it was PERFECT. I thought this had a chance to be my favorite Lucha match of 1990, and it is. I didn't think (going in) that it would end up being my MOTY, but it is. This would make an all-time top favorite matches list for me, and I'll definitely come back to it. I love the comparison from Chad of the lucha version of Magnum/Tully, because I was actually thinking that during the match. I really loved the exhausted and brutal head-butt exchange in the corner. Man, it felt so emotional, Dandy falls back then quickly uses all his strength to pile back on him for some biting to the forehead. It's just bloody and brutal. As mentioned, it's like they couldn't think of anything else to do to each other. The selling of Dandy of his exhaustion and desperation, it's just a thing of beauty. Great ***** - Classic.

Coming back to add that Loss listed this as #11 on his list of the top 100 matches of the 90's.

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-50-1/2/

• 9 months later...

Possibly the best lucha finish ever. Dandy gets his revenge on Satanico for October in the most satisfying way imaginable. And I loved Satanico's initial reaction, but not as much as the "you got me" he gives to Dandy later on. Amazing match and probably my MOTY.

Possibly the best lucha finish ever. Dandy gets his revenge on Satanico for October in the most satisfying way imaginable. And I loved Satanico's initial reaction, but not as much as the "you got me" he gives to Dandy later on. Amazing match and probably my MOTY.

After thinking about it, I honestly wish Satanico had won the October match. That would have made this finish that much more poetic and satisfying.

My favorite lucha match of all time, and maybe even my favorite brawl. The October match between the two was indeed great, but this was an absolute classic. Dandy showed that he could get gritty, but Satanico really stands out to me the most. When discussing the best brawlers of all time, I think you have to include Satanico. He was absolutely sublime. And the finish was great.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-12-14-EMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)
  • 4 years later...

One of my favourite apuestas ever, MOTY of 1990 for me, the amount of hate they have for each other can be felt with every strike, seeing El Dandy bloodied trying to survive the beating that El Satánico is inflicting him is beautiful. I personally love the ending with Dandy faking a low blow blew me away the first time I saw it and still is one of my favourite finishes to a match.