Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-16-NWA Starrcade '90] Barry Windham & Arn Anderson vs Doom (Street Fight)

Loss

• 3 months later...

Great match! This has always been a favorite of mine, and it amazes me how much they fit into such a short match. Great brawling, suplexes and piledrivers, with lots of blood, punches and a hot crowd. I always mark out for cut-up t-shirts and kneepads over jeans too. What's not to love? Perhaps the best sub-10 minute match ever.

Didn't enjoy it as much as Loss but still a decent street fight between four tough bastards. Liked the general sloppiness of this match like the bit when Butch mounts the turnbuckle but realises that Windham hasn't noticed him so Reed gets down and runs at Windham with a knee and punches the shit out of him. Just little things that give it a spontaneous 'brawl' feel. Reed takes a STIFF chair shot for the time from Arn before he mouths "Son of A Bitch!" and repays him. I had no prior knowledge of this feud and this match gave me no clue as to who the heels/babyfaces were which could be a criticism if I was nitpicking. The biggest set back of course was the time. Still, good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get time being an issue at all. Ross outright says at the start that this will be too brutal to last long. Honestly, street fights SHOULDN'T be 25-minute epics. Anyway, this is fantastic and on the shortlist for U.S. MOTYC. The ending is a little lame but there's so much awesome shit during and after the match--this is seriously one of the greatest "brawl to the back" moments in wrestling history. Simmons is an absolute monster here, crushing Windham with an awesome spinebuster and clobbering Arn out of mid-air with a clothesline.

This didn't need any more time. They delivered a whole match worth of action and did a great job building to the big moments. Honestly, would this match be as remembered if it went 18 minutes with a standard peril section and hot tag? Also, no way this would have been as good if you subbed Flair in for Windham.

I always like when Simmons whips someone with a belt. Windham busted open but he still hits a suplex on Reed. Windham has been missed. All four guys in at once street fight. Pinfalls only. Big pop for the superplex. Hectic type match. Double pin finish which kind of sucked but it was lots of fun otherwise. Time was perfectly fine.

Went about 8m before the lame double pin. It had some blood and typical street fight brawling. This was rare at the time but watching it now I don't think it stands up very well. I've seen this done so many times since and a lot better. Even in 1990 the April FMW match kills this.

• 2 months later...

NWA World Tag Team Champions Doom vs Horsemen (Arn Anderson & Barry Windham) - NWA Starrcade 1990

This had that intense Southern fight feel that has been lost in many ways due to the "arena-touring, multiple items of plundah" brawling that replaced it. The belt shot that busted Windham open looked particularly gruesome to me. The belt shot onto Simmons was also vicious. Reed's shouldertackle off the top was great as was the superplex. I thought the chair shots were all well-done especially for the time period. Reed barking out "Son of a bitch" was awesome. I am a huge mark for the piledriver and Butch Reed delivered a great one. I hated the finish. The double pin was lame and the only thing lamer was that friggin inside cradle that Windham used. Jesus, he could have use his leaping DDT. Incredibly violent and hate-filled, seemed to lose a bit of steam at the end and the finish was garbage. Also, my years of watching wrestling and heavy metal has totally brainwashed me into thinking that leather, assless chaps is the most badass and macho look any man can have. **** :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If the limo ride is how Flair is written out of this match, doesn't that imply Doom was part of the Black Scorpion conspiracy, and wouldn't that make this match a put-on? Goddamn you, Ole.

Ross has such a strange blowup after the match.

Ross: Fans, we apologize, we do not know the winner of the match!

Paul: You need to apologize to me! I wanna know who won the match!

Ross: Well I do too, stupid! You think I'm just sitting here like an idiot?

• 1 month later...

Fun match that also has Pork Chop Cash (!) roaming around ringside for no apparent reason.

He was supposed to be a "second" for Doom. The Russian Brute from the AWA is also there, I'd presume as a "second" for the Horsemen. But they never bothered to mention either guy except when Heyman asked "who is that?" met with dead silence from JR :).

Sorry, I didn't feel this one. Street fight or not, it should have gone 15-20 minutes. If ECW guys who weren't half the workers these four guys were could try to commit murder on each other for the length of a regular tag match, surely these four could have done it. It wasn't short because it was a street fight anyway; it was short because WCW tried to run a fifteen-match card in three hours, which was completely ridiculous.

Also, the double pin was a joke. If they didn't want Doom to drop the belts and they didn't want the Horsemen to take a clean loss, they shouldn't have booked the match to start with. How about a good old-fashioned TV title defense for Arn? How about Barry squashing a midcarder to reestablish himself as a contender in the minds of the fans? I don't know what you do with Doom in that case, since there were no credible face teams to put them against except the Steiners (who of course were busy in the tournament), but there had to have been a better solution out there. We got a nice brawl, but take away the weapons and we could have gotten that during a Danger Zone segment. Match of the Year candidate? Give them ten more minutes and a clean title change that kickstarts the Doom breakup angle and you've got a case. As it turned out, this was just one more short match in a night full of them.

• 1 year later...

I've always loved this match. I've seen it quite a few times. Brutal. Violent. Fast. Agreed on - "what's not to love?"

Reed is tons of fun to watch in this one, and the chair shots are nasty.

**** Great match.

#417 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-450-401/2/

• 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-16-NWA Starrcade '90] Barry Windham & Arn Anderson vs Doom (Street Fight)