Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-22-NWA-Pro] Terry Taylor vs Rip Rogers

Loss

• 3 months later...

Here I was thinking we were done with the Rip Rogers run. I'm not complaining one bit. This is much better than the WCWSN match, as Taylor does a better job of holding up his end. Both guys work really hard and take some big bumps. Rogers falls over the guardrail and back. Really fun to see an undercard match this heated with both guys working so hard. Rip in particular wrestles like everything is at stake with the result of this match, which is very cool.

• 4 weeks later...

"Dude wrestles for an extended period of time in his ring gear" is a favorite wrestling occurrence of mine and Rogers comes through with flying colors (mostly pink) here. We get chokeouts with the ring jacket, a payback choke spot, and some surprisingly vicious brawling on the floor. The best WCW Rogers match yet--was THIS the match RE voted as #1?

• 2 years later...

This was a good back-and-forth match, and that's the problem. Unless they planned to push Rogers (which they clearly didn't), he should have been competitively squashed and not allowed to do so much of the stuff he's so praised in this forum for. I'm not talking Mario Mancini being the Undertaker's personal crash test dummy, but not far off from that, either.

To put it another way, Tony brought up Taylor's (kayfabe) dissatisfaction with not getting more title shots. Even marks know that there's a pecking order, and that Rogers is on the lower rungs of it, so how is having to fight for his life to beat him going to help Taylor seem like more of a threat to Arn, for example? If anything, these matches elevate Rogers while making Taylor seem ordinary, if not a bit below ordinary. (Pillman's in the same boat, by the way.) As it all turned out, nobody benefited from any of the Rogers matches we saw this year; Rogers wasn't pushed, and Taylor and Pillman lost luster by not beating him decisively. The matches were certainly entertaining time fillers, but ultimately meant nothing in the long run.

Weird Call Alert: Tony called an Irish whip as "going for the run". Technically correct, but not something you expect to hear, especially from a veteran announcer.

By the way, Rotunda win the December 30 Chicago match referenced here by pinfall over Taylor.

• 1 year later...

I thought Rogers was really bad here. There's one part of the match where he gets knocked down... He stands up immediately bent over and feeds his head right into Taylor.. Maybe Taylor was supposed to pull him up by his hair... But he wasn't ... It was a very exposing spot... I remember noticing a few other spots that just seemed rather amateur... One that stood out was when he was on the top rope and Taylor was supposed to grab him and slam him off... Like the Flair spot... But problem was Taylor didn't really grip him or it looked rather weak when he did and Rogers just kind of screamed for a while and then threw himself off the top rope... That's what stood out to me here anyway....maybe I should rewatch it sometime

• GSR changed the title to [1990-12-22-NWA-Pro] Terry Taylor vs Rip Rogers