Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-26-NJPW-King of Kings] Masa Chono vs Lou Thesz

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is Thesz the oldest guy to compete in a match? He's in better shape at 74 than a number of guys have looked at 44. Thesz, bless him, actually tries to power bomb Chono and it ends poorly, and Chono gets the submission with the STF. This is definitely a curiosity more than anything but I must have watched a severely clipped version when I saw it years ago because it's actually better than I remembered.

• 2 years later...

This was more like an exhibition than an actual competitive match. I was impressed by Lou's ability to still do the basics well at the age of 74, and they even gave him a couple of near falls, which was a nice touch. The failed powerbomb was his undoing, though, as Chono locked him up for the submission soon after. I liked the big ovations for both men before and after the match.

If New Japan had put this card on videotape with English commentary, it might not have been a bad tape to rent. Especially for older fans, seeing Bock and Thesz go one last time would have been a nice way to kill a few hours.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-26-NJPW-King of Kings] Masa Chono vs Lou Thesz
  • 3 years later...

Thesz wrestled this match with an artificial hip which makes what he does in this match a bit crazy. Chono is there for the ride taking a big backdrop suplex right at the start and a Thesz press but Thesz himself does take a few bumps, obviously him blowing his hip on that failed powerbomb attempt was already mentioned above but right before that Thesz on his first attempt takes a goddamn backdrop and bridges up before trying that powerbomb that blows hip out before Chono gets the STF in to submit Thesz. Of course, this is more of an exhibition and is not as much of a proper match like the Bockwinkel-Saito match is but I feel this was an impressive last match for Thesz who gets to showcase a few of his big moves before Chono takes control and capitalises on Thesz slowing down as the match goes on to win.