Wrestling in unusual contexts

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11294 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I watched the Roman Polanski film Repulsion last night from 1965 and there's a little scene in which they turn the tv on and there's a wrestling match on. British commentator. It's a tag match. I think "Rebel Ray Hunter" is one of the guys mentioned. This is one of the oddest instances of pro wrestling popping up in an unexpected place I can think of. Any other takers?

#2 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I remember in the Romanian film "Police, Adjective", having a wall with graffiti. One of the things written on the wall, in big clear letters was "John Cena". That was amusing. In the French film "La Haine", I remember during a scene in a bedroom, there was a poster of Bret Hart.

#3 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8477 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Herb Stempel has wrestling on the TV during a scene in Quiz Show. Wrestling in the 1950's didn't quite carry as great of a stigma as it would later on but it was still a jarring sight.

This is as ridiculously obscure and pedantic as it gets...but in the Violent Femmes' video for "American Music," the LJN figure of Slick appears as a prop.

#4 Graham Crackers

Graham Crackers
  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Gekiga (a word used for an avant garde Japanese comics movement influential during the 1950s through the 70s) pioneer Yoshihiro Tatsumi apparently drew some comics about Rikidozan early in his career. I've never actually seen them but he references them in his autobiography A Drifting Life.

#5 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2539 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

In Natural Born Killers there is a scene where Rodney Dangerfield's character is watching a WWF show with Tatanka wrestling somebody and he screams "Kill the Fuckin' Indian!" at the TV. Chief Jay Strongbow and Gorilla Monsoon were referenced in a Stephen King book but I can't remember which one.

#6 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4347 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

Speaking of Stephen King, in the "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" segment of Creepshow, he's watching Bob Backlund wrestle one of the Samoans.

#7 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8477 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

In Natural Born Killers there is a scene where Rodney Dangerfield's character is watching a WWF show with Tatanka wrestling somebody and he screams "Kill the Fuckin' Indian!" at the TV.

But Dangerfield's character is an inbred redneck asshole. He's really the quintessential usual context. Herb Stempel at least was a supergenius savant game show contestant.

#8 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2539 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

I was actually thinking wrestling being featured in a mainstream (well, close enough) movie was the unusual context, not Dangerfield's character.

#9 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11294 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Am I imagining this or did Hacksaw Jim Duggan once appear in an episode of ALF? I think I saw it when I was 8 or 9, and since then have always just assumed this was a thing. However, internet searches for footage or images of this are coming up with nothing. Does my memory deceive me?

#10 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Couldn't find anything, but this pops up pretty quick when you search:

Re: Jim Duggan in The Simpsons?
Post by jerryvonkramer on Aug 21, 2009, 4:02pm

Jim Duggan was on A.L.F. once.

Admit it Jerry, DiBiase isn't your greatest wrestling obsession, solving this mystery is. :)

Oh, and then there was this:

Re: Jim Duggan in The Simpsons?
Post by jerryvonkramer on Aug 22, 2009, 6:04am

Aug 22, 2009, 3:43am, bigbossfan wrote:
Also, Jim Duggan was on an episode of Harry And The Hendersons.

Come to think of it, I reckon I was thinking of that not ALF.

Case closed.

#11 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11294 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Ha ha, the evidence for Duggan being on ALF is a post I made 3 years ago, where it turned out it was Harry and the Hendersons. :D Sooo did I just make this up? I SWEAR I saw him on there.

#12 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5552 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Is it really that unusual for wrestling to be in a movie? My favourite wrestling "appearance" is probably the author of a book on soul music interrupting Screamin' Jay Hawkins watching the graps.

#13 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I want to know more about Duggan on Harry. I love that show. I have about 12 of the episodes, but that isn't one of them.

#14 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10146 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

New Jack on Jenny Jones as someone brought in to motivate at risk teens to behave, which he does by violently cursing them and calling them pieces of shit while raving about how only their mama's really love them and Jenny pleads with him to stop has to be high on the list.

#15 Chess Knight

Chess Knight
  • Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

A music video for a really, really shitty song has a bunch of people wearing Atlantis masks.

#16 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8221 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

In the French film "La Haine", I remember during a scene in a bedroom, there was a poster of Bret Hart.

Shit, I've seen this one a lot of times and never catch (pun intended) that detail ! Awesome.

#17 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8221 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Of course you got the Fabulous Freebirds match at the beginning of Highlander. At Madison Square Garden no less.

#18 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I always got a kick out of some random background character in the anime movie Akira sporting a UWF/UWFI (I forget which) shirt

#19 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8221 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

In Kitano's masterpiece "Hana-bi", you can see one character wearing a Cactus Jack T-shirt. And of course you got Chono and Tenzan destroying a restaurant in "Glory to the Filmmaker".

#20 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4347 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Of course you got the Fabulous Freebirds match at the beginning of Highlander. At Madison Square Garden no less.

The match was actually from the Meadowlands across the river.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users