Wrestling in unusual contexts

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

The unusual context about the NBK thing is that they let Oliver Stone use the footage, or didn't care enough to sue.

Richard Belzer (of all people) name-dropping Doink The Clown to illustrate Ned Beatty's fandom on an early episode of Homicide: Life On The Street.

#22 Minds_Eys

Minds_Eys
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

A scene in the movie Grumpy Old Men, Walter Mathaw sits in his kitchen and wrestling is on the tv. I believe it was WWF but can recall the wrestlers.

#23 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

There is an episode of Friends where Ross and Chandler are watching TV randomly. And you see lucha midgets on the screen. Ross blurts out that he misses his girlfriend Julie. CHANDLER: Spanish midgets...spanish midgets wrestling...Julie! I see how you got there!

#24 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

In Saved by the Bell, AC Slater had wrestling posters on his wall. I am sure Loss could tell us exactly which ones they were.

#25 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Cheers 200th episode had a special roundtable discussion and series retrospective either before or after it, with the cast moderated by John McLaughlin of the Sunday Morning political round table panel show The McLaughlin Group. Before it they did a cold open with McLaughlin (an actual Boston native) walking onto the Cheers set as Woody is tending bar. Woody kind of recognizes him, when told about McLaughlin being a talk show host wonders if it's one of those shows that stops female wrestling matches. Pretty sure the character was thinking a Jerry Springer like show.

#26 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Grumpy Old Men has Mattheu watching a Nasty Boys match from WCW. In Hangover 2, Alan has posters of Rick Rude, Hillbilly Jim and Macho Man hanging in his room. Cena's random cameo on SNL hosted by Tracy Morgan There was a Mama's Family with a bunch of the wrestlers from GLOW

#27 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Cheers - Hulk Hogan is wrestling on tv. Woody: "Wow Hulk Hogan really is amazing" Frasier: "Hulk's thing is fixed, Woody" Woody: "Wow, that's a real shame that Hulk Hogan can't have children"

#28 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

How about The Rock showing up on a WWWF-themed episode of That 70's Show -- playing his father.

#29 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2739 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

John Cena's Bad Bad Man was in the trailer for season five of The Shield.

#30 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Here it is. I've been re-watching the show from the beginning so that piqued my interest to say the least. It's an awful song, but it works with what the trailer has been getting across.

#31 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

Of course you got the Fabulous Freebirds match at the beginning of Highlander. At Madison Square Garden no less.

The match was actually from the Meadowlands across the river.

In the script it was a hockey game, but they didn't get clearance from the NHL since it emphasized the violent aspects of the sport.

#32 Guest_Andrews_*

Guest_Andrews_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

In the French film "La Haine", I remember during a scene in a bedroom, there was a poster of Bret Hart.

Shit, I've seen this one a lot of times and never catch (pun intended) that detail ! Awesome.

Fudge, same here, next time I'm due a watch, I'm keeping a pair of massive eyes out for that!

#33 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00jpw7j

The BBC aired Hulk Hogan's thoughts on the UK riots.

#34 tigerpride

tigerpride
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

The Squid and The Whale has a Hurricane READ poster in the background even though it takes place in the 1980s. WCW is on in the background of US Marshalls. You hear Tony Schiavone's voice. This is a fun thread.

#35 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I remember in the Romanian film "Police, Adjective", having a wall with graffiti. One of the things written on the wall, in big clear letters was "John Cena". That was amusing.

There's an episode of Top Gear (UK) where the three guys go to Romania and at some point get lost in what is described as "Borat country". At one point their cars are surrounded by gawking locals and kids. One of them writes "John Cena" on one of the dustier parts of one of the cars.

#36 tigerpride

tigerpride
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I marked out for that scene in Police, Adjective as well.

#37 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Adrian Street on the cover of Art Review:
http://artreview.com..._issue_on_sale/

#38 tim

tim
  • Members
  • 1450 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

In an episode of House, House is watching a Christian vs. Abyss TNA match briefly.

#39 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:57 AM

Posted Image

Even Encino Man (US Title) / California Man (UK Title) (Brendan Fraser) likes Dino Bravo!

#40 marrklarr

marrklarr
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:57 AM

There is a truly awful BMX bike movie from the 80s called Rad. In the final act, our hero is competing in a BMX race and executes a backflip on his bike en route to victory. The TV announcer blurts out, "Hulk Hogan, eat your heart out!"

It didn't make sense then. It doesn't make sense now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users