Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling in unusual contexts

JerryvonKramer

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/03/japan-in-the-1950s/100697/

Photos of 1950s Japan, #19 is a photo of a large group of people gathered to watch a Japanese vs. American wrestling match on outdoor television screens.

I missed this when it was posted. What a tremendous gallery (in general, not only the wrestling photo).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's the It's Always Sunny "The Gang Wrestles for the Troops" episode where the gang is watching Hulk Hogan and Nikolai Volkoff on a laptop. Rowdy Roddy Piper appears in the episode too as the Maniac and the gang then wrestles as the Birds of War against Cricket who wrestles as the Talibum and Frank interferes as the Trashman and hits Cricket with a trash can and cuts hits neck wide open and Cricket bleeds while the crowd cheers Frank.

Don't forget Roddy's Jim Barnett impression as he's talking to the Gang while being taken away in a police car for unpaid parking tickets. "my boys...my boys."

David Otunga is going to appear on today's episode of General Hospital. If you told me I would have ever marked out for David Otunga, I would have said you are looney tunes. There I was going bezerk during yesterday's previews, but it will most likely be a letdown because Otunga sucks the meat missile. Unless we get a Sonny Corinthos/David Otunga Boxing Match at Wrestlemania!!! BOOK IT, VINCE~!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

College GameDay has a celebrity on every week to make picks for Saturday's games. Steve Austin was the guest this week--not really that unusual, they were in Arlington, Texas. Then analyst/paid clown Lee Corso quizzed Austin on the whereabouts of Lady Blossom. I about spit up my water and missed Austin's response.

• 4 weeks later...

The show Workaholics is littered with wrestling references. They even have a full episode dedicated to getting a TV to watch Wrestlemania. A costume party where 2 characters come as Jimmy Hart and Captain Lou. They also have a wrestling poster in one of their rooms.

Will Ferrell's character on East Bound and Down is based entirely off of Ric Flair. From his look to even saying "Woo!"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The latest Sight and Sound film of the year poll had contributors also pick the best TV show of the year. One critic (Robert Greene) picked WWE Raw (specifically from January to April). Elsewhere, contributor Tim Lucas had See No Evil 2 as one of the 5 best films of the year, calling it a "joyfully manipulative theatrical experience, full of life and humour", and praising Kane for his "Brando-in-his-prime-like command of his craft". Okay, not that last bit.

I was just listening to the all time great hip hop album Liquid Swords, when this line got my attention

[Verse 2: GZA]

I slayed MC's back in the rec room era

My style broke motherfucking backs like Ken Patera

Yeah, we've talked about this before and it was one of my drops on the early Titans shows,

The Wu-Tang definitely watched the Vince Sr product circa 78-81. Method Man mentions Bob

Backlund quite a few times. Elsewhere GZA name checks Ivan Koloff. Masta Killa calls out "Chief Jay Strong".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to the all time great hip hop album Liquid Swords, when this line got my attention

[Verse 2: GZA]

I slayed MC's back in the rec room era

My style broke motherfucking backs like Ken Patera

Yeah, we've talked about this before and it was one of my drops on the early Titans shows,

The Wu-Tang definitely watched the Vince Sr product circa 78-81. Method Man mentions Bob

Backlund quite a few times. Elsewhere GZA name checks Ivan Koloff. Masta Killa calls out "Chief Jay Strong".

Rapper's name dropping wrestlers could easily create a 20 plus page thread

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a truly obscure one. The 80s comic "Whisper" had an issue where the main character was in a fight in a hotel room. On the tv was a WWF program (not a fictional wrestling federation, but the WWF itself), and while you never saw the screen in the comic, the commentary could be "heard", and it related to the fight happening in the comic. I have no idea which issue it was, not to mention it was a pretty obscure comic to begin with, but i found it neat.