273 replies to this topic

#41 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

Grapz Opinionz 4 Y00z From J00z

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts
  • Interests:The Good and The Beautiful

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

If/when the Portland set hits I could change my mind, but I have very little enthusiasm for the Sheepherders and the more I watch the less upset I get about what they became in the WWF. Before they turned into shitty comedy workers they were shitty brawlers. Tellingly the best 'herders match I've seen is against the Fantastics at Clash II and it's pretty much a straight tag and not a barbed wire juicefest.

I thought the really telling thing with them was watching how the Commonwealth angle in Southwest played out. There was a short run in there where Luke was on his own, and he's actual a really exciting, violent brawler. And then Butch shows up...and he's not. At all. And they start teaming, and Luke starts working down to Butch's level. Really weird thing to find out about two guys I used to not be able to tell apart at all.

As to the topic at hand..."really dislike" is probably too strong a term, but I was always very "meh" towards Bull Nakano. I honestly can't put my finger on why that is, but her work leaves me cold in ways that, say, Aja Kong's doesn't.

#42 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

This might come off as a troll of SLL, but I really don't like Jimmy Garvin. He had some good matches on the Texas Set, but even some of his stuff that I expected to be better felt really flat and the motherfucker can drag a match to a screeching halt quicker than just about anyone I've ever seen in wrestling.

#43 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10257 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I really do like wrestling. It's hard for me to find a ton of guys who aren't already on our "list." You guys see me when I go. I'm pretty gung ho about trying to like most things that I see.

#44 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Stop being positive. This is about the negative energy!

#45 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

he only sells for guys he sees at his level.

He had a "World Champion vs Lower card gimmick, babyface vs babyface match" with Festus, and it was actually a really good, back and forth TV match. 'Taker did a good job selling for Festus.

#46 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Just to be clear, the first person that says "Buddy Rose" gets banned.

#47 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2786 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

For the longest time WWF/WCW era Jim Duggan was the wrestler I disliked--hated actually--more than any other. Probably still do. Does anyone here find him appealing? I'm not sure if this should technically count, but I generally hate the McMahon family as performers, even Vince. Their takeover of WWF TV in the late-90s played a big part in my losing interest in wrestling for a long time.

#48 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Just to be clear, the first person that says "Buddy Rose" gets banned.

I am on board with this.

#49 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

For the longest time WWF/WCW era Jim Duggan was the wrestler I disliked--hated actually--more than any other. Probably still do. Does anyone here find him appealing?

I'm not sure if this should technically count, but I generally hate the McMahon family as performers, even Vince. Their takeover of WWF TV in the late-90s played a big part in my losing interest in wrestling for a long time.

I think there are glimpses of Glory Days Duggan in WWF but he definitely peaked in Mid South.

#50 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10257 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Really quite good late WWF Duggan match most people haven't seen:

#51 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

The Rock. It's not like I don't get the appeal. The guy has IT, I don't even deny that. I'm not fucking blind or something. And he's had some great moments/matches. But I tend to think the high points have caused a lot of people to gloss over just how immensely, soul-crushingly dull his average points were. He had some periods (more so the pre-Hollywood Rock days) where he was pretty much literally doing the same promo every single week with the order of a couple of the catch phrases changed and it was amazingly dull, with matches to um... match. The People's Elbow is also a top 5 all time most retarded thing, as fun as it is. Let's not kid ourselves there. I'm really on board with the Takada thing too. Which is funny because the Takada/Hashimoto IWGP title match is probably my favourite New Japan match of all time. But every great Takada match I watch I always feel like it's the other dude who is the better worker. No one even talks about Muto anymore, so I assume we've all accepted he is (or was, at least) a very talented athlete but a completely braindead idiot who only stumbled onto good matches either through the other dude being smarter than him, or through raw serendipity and alignment of galactic energy fields channeling through him ever so briefly, right? Cool.

#52 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2786 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Oh, and I'm also on board with Johnny's dislike of post Mania III Roddy Piper. As much as I love the guy for his 70s-1987 work (as in top ten all-time for me), I can't stand his later stuff, especially his babyface commentary.

#53 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm ready to go to war with Dylan re: Tenryu and Jumbo.

#54 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Jumbo is the best wrestler ever and you are a fool. Merry Christmas, everyone.

#55 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8857 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hey, I still like Muto, although he can be the most infuriating wrestler ever too. I second the hate for the McMahons as in-ring performers. Shane was doing retarded stunt shows that would get him ridiculous praise despite raising the bar to absurd level in term of dangerous spots, coming from a guy who wasn't working more than a few PPv's a year. His match with Angle is one of the stupidest match ever. And Vince, oh Vince. I get the performance side of his character, but at some point you'd have to deliver some actual moves, even punches for god's sake, who don't look like complete fake shit. Yep, the McMahons becoming in-ring performers were a big time turn-off to me. To the point I really did turn off the TV. Dick Slater post Mid-South. I liked him a lot in Mid-South, everything I can think that he did after that stint I really don't care for. Jake Roberts. Now don't get me wrong, I love Jake as a character, I love Jake's promos. But really the guy doesn't deliver in the ring and his matches are always a big disapointement to me. He was awesome at doing the little things, but the problem is that he was only doing the little things, making the big picture seem minor and dull. Another one who peaked in Mid-South, and never delivered much afterward to me inside the ring. Mark Henry. Average monster guy. Not that I dislike him, but I just think he's been insanely overrated over the last few years, never saw anything from him that would make me go "oh, he's damn good". Am I banned ? Yumiko Hotta. I know I mentionned her already, but she's worth being mentionned again. Selfish piece of crap with an inflated ego who was giving shit and taking everything. Plus she was careless with her opponents, to the point of being dangerous or/and downright mean. I canno't forget that kick to the side of Plum Mariko's head. Fuck you Hotta. The Fabulous Ones. Steve Keirn can kill any interest I have in a match like no one else. What a chore to watch. He even managed to drag Bobby Eaton down. Anyway, I guess it's not fair to Lane, but I don't think I ever saw a Ones match that didn't bore me.

#56 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Mark Henry. Average monster guy. Not that I dislike him, but I just think he's been insanely overrated over the last few years, never saw anything from him that would make me go "oh, he's damn good". Am I banned ?

I am thinking about it. I am more offended by your dislike of the Fabulous Ones.

#57 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Jumbo is the best wrestler ever and you are a fool.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I don't mind people pretending Jumbo is the best wrestler ever and I don't mind being called a fool because I probably am one.

But don't EVER wish me a Merry Christmas you bastard.

#58 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8857 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, but I love Dick Murdoch. ;)

#59 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9907 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Edge had his moments but overall I really didn't care for him especially related to his push. I liked him better with Christian in that era for sure. How in the hell has Shane Douglas' name not shown up here. His forever seeming ECW title run was rough to watch when doing the ECW set.

#60 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

But don't EVER wish me a Merry Christmas you bastard.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users