Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers you really dislike

goodhelmet

Sabu when he is on is great but that wasn't a whole lot and yes he could be one of the most frustrating guys to watch.

Case in point: there are people who really like him. Not just the old Bingo Hall Circle Jerkers, but more recent people like Jerome and Dylan who've rewatch a shitload of ECW more recently and with much more historical perspective than the BHCJ's. I still dislike him, and can't go long into any of his matches without getting annoyed by what he spawned.

I'm really not that high on Sabu.

He did have a lot of matches in ECW that I really enjoyed, but there were plenty that felt flat, underachieved or stuck to the stereotype 100 percent. He is a guy that due to his image/persona was "fun" in novelty matches v. guys like One Man Gang or Billy Black. He also had some really good matches with Scorp and Mikey, but eveyone on the roster had really good matches with those guys.

Even within the realm of ECW there is no way he would make my personal top five and quite possibly not my top ten either.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wild men. Kamala. The Samoans. George Steele. The Headshrinkers. Generally hate those gimmicks. I know Kamala has some fans on this board but he does nothing for me at all.

That it back about Kamala. Watch some of his early 80s shit and you'll see a much more agile and competent worker than the guy that showed up in the WWF and beyond.

Was it ever clear to you why Dave and others thought Brody was better than Hansen, John? I came to the matches years later, but for the life of me, I can't see how anyone would come away with that view. It's not like Hansen's character was fucking subtle or something.

I think they liked Brody's wild character, the aura of violence, the juice, etc. it became self fulfilling.

The analogy that I always liked, which I think Frank came up with, was the Brody was the Undertaker of his era. That was tossed out back at a time when folks thought Taker was a gimmick and not really any good, so it was quite insulting for Brody Fans to have to hear. I think the irony might be that Taker at his best was better than Brody. :)

John

I like how JDW ignores the rules (lay off HBK mother fucker) but I forgive him because he made this into a picture thread which I love.

Shit... I'm sorry about that, Will. I saw that TM, DK and Angle... but I totally glazed over on Shawn being the fourth one in there as HBK. Don't even know who I thought that was. *rolls eyes at self*

If I really was blowing it off, I'd have used Angle instead of Muraco: I hate his work in the ring way early, and still hate how he's viewed in certain circles.

John

A guy who I just don't get excited about watching, but I have seen have plenty of good matches is Scorpio. I just don't really want to watch him. It might be those whoop there it is chants, sometimes he tried to put too much sizzle into his work like when him and his opponent were doing rope running spots he wouldn't just drop to the mat he'd have a little hang time instead of just dropping to the mat. People I've read are pretty high on his Sabu's matches. I thought those table spots were distracting to set up and took away from the matches. Though I blame Sabu for that than Scorpio, but he is involved in it.

I loved Sabu when I was back in high school, like 1996/97 I guess. He was just so totally different from anything you'd ever see in WWF or WCW at that point.

But really, I doubt I've even watched a Sabu match in 8 years. And granted I barely watch wrestling anymore, and have been that way ever since Misawa died which was my last straw with full time fandom. But I agree the way Sabu would fixate on his table setups was just... something. He's one of those guys where I don't regret being a fan (and this really goes for ECW in general), it was part of me transitioning out of "what was put in front of us" and into "what I want to watch, it is out there", so it served a purpose. I guess it's pretty different now in the internet age where anyone can go watch IWGP title matches if they want to, or whatever. I do totally get where the Sabu hate comes from because I don't really think I'd care to watch that style now.

I've seen enough RnR now to know that I don't like Gibson much, mainly because he let his partner do 90% of the work -- not just in matches but in promos and when they played in their band too. If they were on the same money, I don't like that. Didn't pull his weight.

I thought I read somewhere that Gibson was actually getting paid more than Morton, at least later on in their careers. The reasoning being that Gibson could afford to hold out for more money, whereas Morton didn't have that luxury.

Terry Taylor is a good pick. He sucked.

Terry Taylor is a weird guy in that the large majority of the time he DOES suck. He was easily my least favorite guy on the Mid-South set as a babyface. But that turn on Chris Adams was incredible. The piledriver on the floor and the post-match interview where he comes off as completely self-delusional and can't believe that Magnum TA and Jim Ross aren't happy about the way he won was one of the highlights of the entire set.

I realize not wanting to go all out and say "Terry Taylor sucked" off of an incredibly short heel run in post buy-out UWF is pretty much the definition of defending a guy by saying they "didn't achieve their potential during their careers." However, it does make me want to say he was a guy who suffered by being miscast as a babyface until his career was killed off by being made the Red Rooster.

I've seen enough RnR now to know that I don't like Gibson much, mainly because he let his partner do 90% of the work -- not just in matches but in promos and when they played in their band too. If they were on the same money, I don't like that. Didn't pull his weight.

I thought I read somewhere that Gibson was actually getting paid more than Morton, at least later on in their careers. The reasoning being that Gibson could afford to hold out for more money, whereas Morton didn't have that luxury.

I don't know if it's true anymore, but for a while Gibson was getting paid more, but it was because he was working as a trainer in OVW and was getting booked through the WWE office, which was charging a lot more than Morton was asking.

You have to watch some pre-WWF Dino Bravo and he'll change your mind.

I have heard the same thing about Butch Reed, and need to look for footage of them both.

I would also like to add a few more names to my list, although once again I am not sure if other people actually like them....

Konnan: Granted I haven't seen much of his AAA work, but his shitty matches, incessant rambling, and goofy grabbing his crotch dance made me change the channel on WCW almost weekly.

Road Dogg: If ever a bit of charisma carried a guy farther than he ever deserved to go, this is your prime example. I would rather watch a best of Scott Armstrong comp than a match of Jesse.

Jeff Jarrett: I've seen some Memphis which was passable, but pretty much everything he ever did in WWF, WCW, or TNA was mind fuckingly excruciating to watch. Especially after becoming The Chosen One and being champion twenty times or whatever it was. I think it was Mike Graham (another case for this thread, but..) who said "Jeff Jarrett broke ten thousand guitars and never drew a dime."

Jeff Jarrett: I've seen some Memphis which was passable, but pretty much everything he ever did in WWF, WCW, or TNA was mind fuckingly excruciating to watch. Especially after becoming The Chosen One and being champion twenty times or whatever it was. I think it was Mike Graham (another case for this thread, but..) who said "Jeff Jarrett broke ten thousand guitars and never drew a dime."

His Memphis work is awesome and he could have been one of my favorites of the 1990s if he was stuck in Memphis or Dallas the entire time. After Memphis, I agree with every single thing you said.

I'll never get the Terry Taylor hate. Yes, he's rather dull as a babyface, but he's solid as hell nonetheless. And he's tons of fun as a heel.

I like Jarrett quite a bit too, although obviously once he was pushed to main event by Russo with a horrible gimmick and a horrible finisher, things got awry. Jarrett as a Memphis style heel like he worked with Michaels in 1995 would have been the best way to go.

Wait, this is a negativity thread. Can't think of anyone right now. I've became too much a positive wrestling fan I guess.......

I don't know if it's true anymore, but for a while Gibson was getting paid more, but it was because he was working as a trainer in OVW and was getting booked through the WWE office, which was charging a lot more than Morton was asking.

Also, I think Gibson saved his money better. Morton always had to pay a ton of child support, which is why he still works even the tiniest of indy shows on a regular basis.

I liked Taylor as a heel, and thought it sad that he went to the WWF and got Roosters right as he seemed to finally be coming into his own. He's just one of those guys who came across as a more natural worker and performer as a heel. Thought he was pretty solid as a heel back in WCW.

John

Taylor had a very strong 1991

Agreed. The York Foundation was my favourite part of WCW all year long.

The York Foundation is legit one of my favorite stables of all time along with The Royal Brothers and The Italian Connection. I still dream of holding my own show where I can reform the York Foundation for one night only...

My answer is Mark Henry. I don't care what anyone says, I'm not into him and I'm never going to be into him. I think he can be passable and that's it. I never cared for Brody either

If/when the Portland set hits I could change my mind, but I have very little enthusiasm for the Sheepherders and the more I watch the less upset I get about what they became in the WWF. Before they turned into shitty comedy workers they were shitty brawlers. Tellingly the best 'herders match I've seen is against the Fantastics at Clash II and it's pretty much a straight tag and not a barbed wire juicefest.

I thought the really telling thing with them was watching how the Commonwealth angle in Southwest played out. There was a short run in there where Luke was on his own, and he's actual a really exciting, violent brawler. And then Butch shows up...and he's not. At all. And they start teaming, and Luke starts working down to Butch's level. Really weird thing to find out about two guys I used to not be able to tell apart at all.

As to the topic at hand..."really dislike" is probably too strong a term, but I was always very "meh" towards Bull Nakano. I honestly can't put my finger on why that is, but her work leaves me cold in ways that, say, Aja Kong's doesn't.

You have to see the Sheepherders in Memphis. They were at their best there with Johnathan Boyd being really great.