Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-05-WWF-Superstars] Update: Royal Rumble update

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Savage basically promises interference in Warrior/Slaughter at the Royal Rumble. Interestingly, they are already making excuses for Warrior dropping the title before he even gets to the Rumble, talking about the intense pressure he is under as champ. Anytime that talk starts in the WWF with a babyface champ, you know the title is about to change.

Yeah, I don't know what was wrong with me the first time around. Savage wasn't promising interference. He was promising to be champion before the Rumble. Also, all of the focus in these segments being on the Iraqi people being evil instead of their leader being evil shows how little the WWF understood global affairs at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect gets the cover for the magazine.

Savage gives a good promo promising interference. I like how all these people were intertwined going into the Rumble and you werent 100% sure what would happen at Wrestlemania.

I liked the backstage Gene interview humanizing Warrior some more.

Royal Rumble is gonna be a NON-TITLE MATCH, OOOOOOH YEAH.

Warrior is interviewed in the locker room by Okerlund in a...normal (!!!) setting. Despite the valiant attempt and focused promo, Warrior is back to being a raving loon. I EXPECT NOTHING LESS FROM YOU SGT. SLAUGHTER AND THE IRAQIS THAT FOLLOW YOU THAN TOTAL SURRENDERRRRR. *snort*

• 3 weeks later...

Sgt. Slaughter versus Warrior for the title at Royal Rumble. Macho King will be in the Rumble itself but he says the Slaughter/Warrior match will be non title. Warrior is trying to not think about Savage with the focus on Slaughter. He’s got his Warriors to help him against Slaughter and the Iraqis.

• 2 years later...

The promos here are about what you'd expect. I'm not a big fan of demonizing the entire Iraqi population either, but you have to remember that Vince is trying to dumb things down for the kiddies and not take up too much time talking about things that have nothing to do with his universe. It's so much simpler to make the entire nation of Iraq evil than to have to explain why decent people sometimes have an evil leader. Then again, if he'd simply wiped Slaughter's heel turn off the books somehow once real world events got too intense and given Savage the title shot at the Rumble, he wouldn't have had to explain anything at all.

Loss says that when the WWF starts talking about the pressure a babyface champion is under, it means a title change. Well, when a wrestler says that he's not thinking about another wrestler, guess who's going to pop up and cost him something important? Yep, the forgotten wrestler.

• 1 year later...

Wait so the match is for the title and Savage is just saying it isn't for no reason or what? I'm not sure if I like Warrior attempting to come down to a mortal level or not. I could kind of appreciate if Warrior just kept going way out with the promos, talking about the cosmos and Mars, and Slaughter talking about the Iraq war. Just two really conflicting storytelling styles. It might have made for a kind of absurdist war of words.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-05-WWF-Superstars] Update: Royal Rumble update