Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-05-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Cutesy promo hyping the Rumble. It's interesting that even by 1991 when the gimmick had been established, they still went to such lengths to explain and sell it. Hogan feels like a guy already being subtly repositioned as the #1 guy. Brother Love specifically mentions Tugboat being there for him in a tough time, and Hogan doesn't really give a shit, not surprisingly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They actually acknowledge the Hogan-Warrior showdown from the year before. I remember them showing the Ax-Smash showdown from '89 multiple times, usually at the first Rumble report of the year. Love confronts Hogan with the possibility of Hulk having to face Earthquake & Bravo 2-on-1, and then facing Tugboat. Hogan cuts a similar promo to last January, wanting to be #1 so he can go through the whole field.

• 3 weeks later...

Hogan is being pushed as the obvious favorite to win the Rumble again. Love talks about all of Hogan’s enemies who will be the Rumble. Earthquake being built as the nearest challenger. Hogan wants to be the number one draw in the Rumble. He said that too for the 90 Rumble. Love mentions Hogan’s friend Tugboat. Hogan didn’t really seem to be all that friendly when it came to Tugboat and saying he’d be the first one eliminated. Way to be friendly.

• 1 year later...

Brother Love was just a deeply unpleasant character. I get what Prichard is trying to parody, but that red makeup and voice and the music playing - the whole thing makes my skin crawl. Did Prichard have a lot of power in WWF at this time? There had to have been some other character to fill this spot.

Brother Love was just a deeply unpleasant character. I get what Prichard is trying to parody, but that red makeup and voice and the music playing - the whole thing makes my skin crawl. Did Prichard have a lot of power in WWF at this time? There had to have been some other character to fill this spot.

Actually according to Bruce Prichard on Steve Austin's podcast he had to fight really hard to be able to do the character. He says he pitched it to Vince and Vince loved it and asked him who he had in mind for it. Vince's reaction to Bruce saying he wanted to do it was "Not with that face pal!" and Bruce couldn't convince him otherwise. So after a week or two Bruce just showed up and burst into Vince's office with his hair slicked back and cut a Brother Love promo on Vince and the guy he was in his office with and then just left. He said later he found out it was some important TV person Vince was talking to but that Vince loved the promo and came up with the red face paint to cover up whatever deficiencies he felt there were in Bruce's face.

• 2 months later...

I thought that this segment did what it was supposed to do, which is sell the Royal Rumble concept. I don't get how Hogan's an egomaniac and an asshole for wanting to eliminate Tugboat when that's the very idea of the match. If anything, the more egomaniacal statement he made was the one about wanting to draw number one so he could beat everyone else in the match. Not even Ric Flair a year later did that (he was number three).

The real problem Hogan has here is that he has no hot-button issue, so they have to resurrect the Earhquake-Bravo feud to give him someone to cut a promo about Maybe he could have challenged the Warrior/Slaughter winner, or volunteered to try and take out Savage so Warrior could focus on Sarge (I know that the Rumble came after the title match, but that wasn't known by the audience at large until the nineteenth, so a threat like that still could have worked for the moment.)

Interesting story about how Bruce Prichard became Brother Love, and it's fascinating to know that the Brother Love character was his idea and not Vince's. Trust Vince to suggest that awful red makeup in order to cover "imperfections" in Prichard's face. I wonder what they could have been that were so terrible, and who else could have done it without having to fake a Southern accent? The only person I could think of was Percy Pringle if they could have gotten him away from Jarrett/Fritz a couple of years earlier.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-05-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan