Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-12-WWF-Superstars] Update: The Ultimate Deadline

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Iraq had a deadline of 1/15 to withdraw from Kuwait before the UN Coalition went to combat. The WWF touches on this...for the sole purpose of setting up a Sgt. Slaughter promo saying most of the same stuff as before about standing side-by-side with President Hussein. The U.S. on the verge of war is basically being treated the same way as a WWF title match. I think it's possible to incorporate current events into a wrestling angle in a reasonable, if not necessarily tasteful, way. But it needed something besides the WWF's hamhanded, sledgehammer of plot approach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

More of the same crap from Slaughter and Adnan. There really isn't much new to say here. I'm surprised that at least some stations didn't pull Superstars and Challenge, and I'm doubly surprised that USA didn't complain about this stuff being rerun on Prime Time and All American. Either they all thought that no one with any sense could possibly be disgusted by pro wrasslin' or none of them were paying any attention to what was going out over their airwaves. I lay the percentage of each at about fifty-fifty.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-01-12-WWF-Superstars] Update: The Ultimate Deadline