Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-12-WWF-Superstars] Ted DiBiase & Virgil vignette

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

DiBiase cuts a promo after a squash that's pretty good, actually. He wants to make a point that he can do anything with his money. He throws his money on the mat, slaps Virgil, then commands him to pick up the money. Virgil teases snapping, and the crowd is with him, until DiBiase whispers something in his ear about his family. Virgil slowly picks up the money as DiBiase laughs. DiBiase is tremendous. Great stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With DiBiase’s money he can expect anything from his partner Virgil. Million Dollar slaps Virgil in the face and tells him to pick up the money. Piper really on Virgil’s side wanting him to fight back. DiBiase whispers something to Virgil which finally gets him to pick up the money. I can't remember what DiBiase was holding over Virgil.

• 2 years later...

This was excellent, as they tease Virgil's turn, then pull back at the very last second. Too much of a tease? I don't think so, Soup. There was only one way they could go with this, and they wanted the crowd to be ready for it when the time came instead of simply springing it on them. Maybe they shouldn't have involved Piper quite so soon, but Virgil's never really been his own man before, and he needs a push from someone who's always been his own man. Honky provides the dissenting view here, of course, and I'd love to have seen him involved in the feud somehow if he hadn't left, not with Virgil and Teddy so much as with Piper.

I'm not sure what Teddy was holding over Virgil's head either; the only thing I dimly remember was something about his sick grandmother, but I could have this angle mixed up with another. Regardless, Virgil's acting is great, as he goes from fired up to completely cowed in a twinkling as Teddy laughs it up in the background. Tremendous stuff.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-12-WWF-Superstars] Ted DiBiase & Virgil vignette