Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-12-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair vs Sting

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Cat gets a visual fall (as such) on Lex Luger in the football match. Unbelievable.

Hey, it's Vladimir, and he's a Horsemen fan! Ric Flair takes two visual falls himself from Sting, but lands on top after a collision and gets the pinfall, despite Sting's foot being on the rope. The first of two World Championship reset buttons to be pressed within the span of a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The finish of Flair/Sting made no sense, if only because they did nothing with it afterward. Sting being screwed meant absolutely nothing in the long run, because the feud for the title was over and Flair had won about as decisively as he was ever going to. I guess that's one reason why Sting never showed much public distress over losing the belt; he knew his time as challenger was done, even with the screwy finish we saw.

The football match was way, way too short; there wasn't much more than we saw in the clips, if Graham has the correct match time. Plus, why was it done with over-the-top rules? My guess is that it's hard to pin someone's shoulders flat if they have pads and a helmet on. JR didn't mention if it was a title match or not; I'm assuming it was, though, which makes this perhaps the strangest U.S. title bout in WCW history to date.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-12-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair vs Sting
  • 1 year later...