Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-13-UWA] El Hijo del Santo vs Brazo de Oro

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta love the awesome Santo mini-movie between the matches. This was an outstanding match. I've seen this before, but I've never loved it this much. They worked a really bloody, dramatic brawl that is every bit as good as the Satanico and Dandy brawls in 1990. Everything is a total struggle, and the match is filled with crowd-pleasing spots. There's a great mixture of good wrestling with the really intense brawling. Early MOTYC. 1991 is bringing the match quality in a big way thus far.

I loved the mini movie. The music was great. I loved how they mixed really good brawling, mat work, and great dives here. Brazo working over Santo's head with punches and head buts was well done. Working Santo's head on the guard rails again was great. Santo's mask being a bloody mess was a great visual . Heck Brazo even plants him with the DDT. The match layout is well done and easy to follow. Santo's tope to outside was great, but I wish he would have acted like it hurt his head since Brazo spent the whole match up to that point working it. Santo's comeback was great. He had a lot of cool payback spots. Overall an excellent match.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the match quality so far has really taken me by surprise and I think 1991 is off to the best start of any yearbook. This match was tremendous. The struggle for everything was well done and I got more a sense of peril for Santo in this match than I did in the When Worlds Collide tag. The third fall especially had some nice reversals out of the santo clutch and nearfalls that I thought might be the finish. May sound like a broken record but another MOTYC and I have it just below the Dandy/Satanico matches.

Yep, MOTYC and the Match of January so far. What a great month this has been, and there's still some greatness to come. The first fall is sort of standard and not MOTYC level but everything from Santo's segunda caida comeback onward is pure gold. Both guys bleed like stuck pigs and Santo hits some tremendous dives when his back is against the wall. Near falls abound in the third fall, with Brazo getting to escape the Santo camel clutch twice.

I always love it when Santito bleeds through his iconic mask. Such a great visual. I've seen this match several times, and it is outstanding. Santito hit all of his normal highspots but did an excellent job integrating them into his rally from Brazo de Oro's beating. Oro's struggles to avoid the camel clutch also stood out. I don't think this was quite on the level of the Dandy-Satanico matches. Those guys were just better at conveying viciousness in their strikes and holds. But that's hardly a complaint. This is a top-10 career match for Santito.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting finish to the first fall where a simple punch to the stomach makes Santo easy pickings for Oro. Blood coming through white mask makes for a good visual. Second fall ends with a back body drop setting up the finish. Oro is quickly a mess from his own blood. Good and bloody and I liked Santo getting the win with the roll up finish.

• 2 months later...

Another disc, another low end lucha MOTYC. Well if you insist. Oro has a nice sleazy rudo image. He wasn't necessarily a great technician or aerialist, but he sure knew how to work and make opponents look good. Santo did some spectacular moves but this was mainly a bloody brawl. Brazo dominated early and the Son of the Saint bled through the mask. The hero fought back and gave his adversary a gusher. The swings in momentum were really strong. Initially when I started watching Lucha I disliked the one sided beatdowns, but I'm coming around to the benefits of them now. Plenty of excitement in the tercera as the stakes were high. Excellent match.

• 1 month later...

This was all just WAY too much fun.

The fans, literally, carry Hijo on their shoulders to the ring. I'm surprised Lawler never pulled that now that I think of it.

I loved the little kid wearing a The Cure t-shirt in the second skit.

Im a mark for masks being soaked with blood from the inside.

• 1 year later...

This one took a while to get going, but once it did it was a classic. There was a ton of blood, and it played into the story of the match, as by the third fall both men struggled to execute even simple moves crisply due to the blood loss. In the end, a simple desperation move like a small package should be enough to put away a guy who's bleeding like de Oro was here.

I liked the special posts they had around the ring; I don't recall ever seeing them before, but they looked like what iron posts surrounding a wrestling ring should; in other words, get your head rammed into one of them and you'll bleed badly, as both of these guys found out the hard way.

I liked the mini-movies between falls, even though I had no idea what they were about. As for del Santo being carried to the ring, we've seen it here before with "kings" on their thrones, but never with a guy who's not doing a king gimmick, and certainly not with just regular fans carrying him. I would have loved to have seen it with Lawler in Memphis, as AJ said, and another guy it could have worked with (provided that Vince had found fans big and strong enough) was Hogan.

I liked the Dandy/Satanico matches from '90 a little better, especially the 12/14 match, but this one fits in snugly behind those two in my overall lucha rankings so far.

• 1 year later...

Love the feel of the segments before and in between the falls. Combined with the gritty brawl, it really creates a dark aura around the whole match. Especially between the first and second fall when Santo is getting beat. Santo's comeback is really great, he's super fired up and is throwing huge punches and kicks. The nearfalls at the end are hotand Santo's white mask is almost entirely red from blood. Also, towards the end there is a real sense of exhaustion with both guys, and you can tell the strikes aren't landing as hard at certain spots. Great match.

• 6 months later...

I'll echo the love for this match, and for 1991. I've been pretty blown away at how great everything has been thus far, and this match is in my top two of the month thus far (pretty sure it's number one). I'll agree with some, in that it's below the Dandy matches for me, but I really loved this match. Great match, the closing moment of the second fall was a rush.

• 5 months later...

I like the Dandy/Satanico matches more, but I do think this one had something good going for it. Brazo's pacing is so perfect for being the big guy, bruiser type worker in the match. You know who is in charge based on how fast the wrestlers are moving. Brazo keeps things super slow and methodical, never letting Santo get to his more accelerated pace if he can help it. Just slowly beating the tar out of him. Then Santo gets to his up-tempo offense and he's struggling to keep it up so Brazo doesn't go back to his methodical beatdown. Very good work on showing the difference in styles.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-01-13-UWA] El Hijo del Santo vs Brazo de Oro
  • 1 year later...

Brazo's stooge offence is simple yet it's the exact thing needed to fuel a guy like Santo's comeback. Santo has an ability to make all his fancy stuff work in the context of a bloody brawl. Both guys bleed buckets and the image of Santo pissing blood out through his match added a lot to this. The final fall is captivating stuff with many convincing nearfalls.

★★★★¼