Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-19-WWF-Royal Rumble] Interview: Randy Savage / Sensational Sherri & Ultimate Warrior

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Sherri drags Gene Okerlund out to the interview era and wants to speak to the Warrior. She tries flirting her way into Warrior's good graces, going pretty far by WWF standards of the time, kissing him and even strongly suggesting that she'll give him a blowjob if he'll give Savage a title shot. Still a woooowww moment.

Savage is in the dressing room blowing a gasket. He runs out to the ring to sell the embarrassment and this is awesome. I love how they've been able to sustain the momentum of this program even with Savage letting an injury heal.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda really, really want to see Savage vs. Slaughter. This is probably Sherri's best work on the mic to this point. Warrior comes out but doesn't say anything, which prompts Sherri to try a different tack. This was absolutely wild for the time, as Sherri opens Warrior's jacket and gropes him. Sherri gets on her knees and the throbbing intensity is actually building here, before Warrior yells NOOOOOO. Savage flips out and runs from the locker room to the interview set in about 6 seconds, but Warrior is long gone.

Best Warrior promo of either Yearbook. But man alive, he comes across as such a fucking coward.

• 3 weeks later...

Slaughter has guaranteed Savage a title shot if he wins and Savage will get the same commitment from Warrior. Sherri is going to bate Warrior and bate him now. Sherri with the subdued look with no crazy makeup. Sherri calls out the Warrior who is dressed up in USA colors. Sherri starting the bating on Warrior. Sherri sexual tones seem risky for early 90s WWF. Warrior isn’t having any of that and Savage flips out backstage. Don't get why Warrior isn't giving Savage the title shot though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This was nothing more than a setup for Savage's interference later in the card. I doubt Vince cared one iota about ruining the reputation of a champion who wasn't even going to have the title by the time the night was over.

If I'd been Warrior, I'd have turned Sherri down too this time, fighting champion or not. To call him a coward one minute and fall all over him the next? This segment would have been a lot better if they'd chosen one tack for Sherri to take and stayed with it. Either be flirtatious or come on like the screaming, evil witch we all know she can be, but not both. Why should even a noble champion fall for such an obvious and piss-poor acting job as the one Sherri did? (I mean piss-poor in the sense of Sherri being an obvious liar, not a bad performer.) If Savage wants a title match, let him come out and demand one himself. Randy was his usual psycho self here, and you knew that trouble was brewing somehow for Warrior before all was said and done that night.

As I said in one of the 1990 threads, had I been in charge Slaughter would have been paid off, let go, and forgotten about now that the U.S. was actually at war, and Warrior would have granted Savage a title shot that night in his place. I would have had Savage win the title and defend against either Hogan or Warrior at Mania VII, with his career not on the line. He loses to whomever (probably Hogan), Sherri turns on him, and Liz makes the save. In an interview right after Mania VII, Randy tells Okerlund that Liz doesn't want him getting hurt anymore, so he's taking time off at her request. This allows him to move to the booth, but still be ready for the Jake angle when it comes up later in the year.

• 10 months later...

The other very weird thing about this angle is that Savage-Warrior was the house show main event for a while leading up to this, and for at least a month after - so everyone who was getting that match must have had a weird dissonance, as Warrior was denying Savage the shot on TV and then granting it on the house shows.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-19-WWF-Royal Rumble] Interview: Randy Savage / Sensational Sherri & Ultimate Warrior