Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee & Fabulous Ones

Loss

I'm guessing this is about Lawler/Dundee vs Fabs from the MSC with Jarrett in Lawler/Dundee's corner? After a ref bump, Fabs attack Lawler and Cornette tries to run in but is stopped by Jarrett. Lawler then hulks up and kicks out of a pin attempt. Lawler/Dundee get Dq'd after Dundee gets Cornette's racket and hits the Fabs. Fabs get control and injure Dundee's throat with the racket. This is followed by interviews from Dundee, The Fabs backstage at the MSC and Lawler talking about the next week with Lawler/Jarrett vs Fabs.

• 4 weeks later...

What's shown of this is excellent. Dundee cleans house with Cornette's racket and he and Lawler get DQ'd as a result. Post-match, the Fabs hang Dundee. Jeff Jarrett tries to make a save and gets knocked off the apron. Dundee, the Fabs & Cornette and Lawler all have comments about this. I really loved the post-match angle and all three promos. It's fun to see Cornette in a feud where he's actually allowed to get heat for the first time in a while, and all of these guys interacting with each other just feels very fresh. Let this feud continue!

• 3 weeks later...

Really hot angle.

The clips from MSC looked hot and I appreciated the DQ finish with Dundee wailing on the Fabs with the racket. Them taking the advantage and hanging him was a nice visual and good way to put him on the sidelines for a while.

The Fabs/Cornette promo was really good and put across how worthless Dundee is in Funk's eyes. Even though Funk is the champion and not around a whole lot, they are finding ways to keep him relevant in the promotion.

Lawler gives my favorite promo of his this year. Just a fired up babyface promo vowing revenge and talking them into the seats.

Hot post-match angle from the MSC. Keirn whacks Lawler and does a tremendous little jig before doing the same to cornerman Jeff Jarrett. Lawler kicks out and makes a comeback, but Dundee goes nuts with the racket and gets the babyfaces DQ'd. Dundee gets the Pillman treatment with the racket to the throat after the match and then gets hanged in the ropes while the Fabs and Cornette triple-team Lawler. Jarrett, after getting picked off with the racket a few times, finally recovers to make the save.

Dundee accuses Cornette of pulling the strings for the Fabs to do all the dancing. Jackie Fargo is invoked, which will become important. Cornette and the Fabs are sending in a pre-tape so as to avoid assault from the fat cornbred women on live television. Sadly, taking out Dundee isn't worth any money to Terry Funk, so this coming Monday it'll be bounty money vs. the tag titles. Keirn's promo is almost as good as Cornette's.

Lawler and Jarrett are out to take the tag titles, and then Lawler promises to get nasty after the match when he can't be disqualified.

More great stuff from Memphis. This promotion has lost 1990's Heel of the Year and hasn't missed a beat.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawler seems to be going at it alone. He survives a tennis racket shot from Cornette and Kiern. Dundee finally comes to Lawler’s aid. Beatdown by the heels with Dundee getting caught in the ropes by the neck.

Dundee thinks the Fabulous Ones are puppets with Cornette pulling the strings. He doesn’t like The Fabs listening to someone like Cornette.

Cornette and the Fabulous Ones are not in studio so as to avoid the overweight female fans. They keep bringing up Funk which reminds me his is still champion. There wasn’t much of a bounty on Dundee though. Now they get Lawler and Jarrett in a tag match with the chance to get the full bounty.

Lawler talks about some of the big names who have come to Memphis who he beat. He’s after the World Tag titles as that’s what will hurt the Fabulous Ones the most.

• 2 years later...

I think we may have had a few too many racquet shots between the ending of the match and the postmatch beatdown, but it got the job done. Of course, no MSC footage is really as hot as it could be because of the continued subpar commentary. Honestly, Michael St. John and whoever this other guy is could make the bloodiest, goriest beatdown in the history of the business sound like a collar-and-elbow tieup. If my announcers can't sell it, why should I as a fan believe in it, especially when I suspect (as even the densest fans probably did by now) that it's all phony as an eight-dollar bill anyway?

With no help from the commentators, it's up to the promos to sell the angle, and when you have Dundee, Corny, and Lawler doing your promos, there's nothing whatsoever to worry about. I like that they didn't try to sell Dundee's injury as a throat injury; that meant he could still talk, albeit a little more softly than usual. Both he and Lawler still can't quite believe that the little stupid punk who ran around carrying Jimmy Hart's bags in the hokiest-looking sailor suit you ever saw could possibly turn the Fabs against them for Terry Funk's blood money, even as they vow to get the last laugh on all three of them. That might have been the one thing missing from the Gilbert feud; Lawler was so busy matching Eddie insult for insult that he forgot to get heat on Sam Lowe, who was pretty much missing in plain sight after his initial turn. A few references to busybody photographers who think they know the business, such as the ones he's directing toward Corny now, certainly couldn't have hurt.

I loved Lawler threatening to get extra nasty after the match, and I also noted the Jackie Fargo mentions from Dundee. I would have liked Lawler to subtly acknowledge somehow that he's been guilty of trying to win matches with his mouth in the recent past, and it didn't work for him, just like it won't work for the Fabs. Of course, in Lawler's case, the fans loved every second of it, even when he was supposed to be the most despicable man in the territory.

Corny was great here as usual, and Keirn's surprising me with how good his heel promos have been so far. Stan's the weak link, just like Bobby Eaton was with the MX, and that's another surprise, since I liked his humorous introductions of Corny in WCW. I wonder if the Fabs worked that particular schtick in Memphis (having Corny introduce them); I know the Heavenly Bodies did in SMW. with Tom Prichard doing Corny's intro.

If I'd been Dundee, I would have been insulted that I wasn't worth at least ten grand to Funk; after all, I'm the only man in the last ten years who's gotten rid of Lawler for any length of time ('85 loser-leave-town).

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee & Fabulous Ones