Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-26-WCW-Saturday Night] Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vignette

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

An all-time classic vignette with great production that was pretty cutting edge for the time. Barry and Arn are in a junkyard with a black and white effect talking tough and taking a sledgehammer to stuff. It amazes me that WCW could produce brilliant things like this occasionally and couldn't enhance their entire production approach to match it. They obviously had at least one person somewhere with a vision. That's to say nothing of how great Arn and Barry are in this. Just tremendous all around.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the greatest pieces of production business WCW ever did and I'm convinced someone had this promo in mind when they started doing the NWO vignettes. The black and white and camera-cuts and handheld camera are all there. Arn talks of spitting the silver spoon out of the Horsemen's mouth and invokes America's fear of gang warfare, while Windham talks of how the '80s were about lies and deceit and the '90s will be about truth. I hesitate to call any wrestling promo "deep" but this might be the closest match for that description.

• 3 weeks later...

Black and white video with a real nice feel to it. Arn thinks the Horsemen may have got too civilized towards the end of the 80’s. Barry and Arn will be telling the truth form now on. Both men carrying sledgehammers. They will do things as violent as the law allows. Arn was great in this.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Arn's greatness in promos isn't exactly a revelation, but what happened to Barry? He's every bit Arn's equal here, just as chilling and hard-hitting. You could swear that they're headed for a long tag title reign to complement Flair's regaining of the World title, but it doesn't happen that way for various political reasons, and that's a shame. It's never good to waste money segments like this; they don't come around very often.

I didn't quite hear the dog in the background, but I can see how that would make the effect even eerier. This really did look like one of those NWO vignettes from a few years later, but Hall and Nash never saw the day when they were as fearsome as this.

• 2 years later...

This here is.....just absolutely amazing. Barry and Arn are fucking badasses here. Arn at his absolute best and Barry is not more than a step behind. Two things not related to this promo directly. 1. Barry wasted so much talent if he had this in him. 2. I sincerely hope that WCW fired the moron who came up with this idea and put it on TV. I mean, it looks nothing like what WCW is supposed to look like. It accomplishes more than what it sets out to do, doesn't shoot itself in the foot and delivers on every possible level. Lets get with the program and do this the WCW way.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-01-26-WCW-Saturday Night] Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vignette