Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-02-WCW-Saturday Night] El Gigante and Four Horsemen

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

I WANT DA BELT. Flair interrupts quickly and starts screaming at him. Flair gets up really close to him to really sell the size difference.

Pillman is about to have a squash against Cruel Connection #2 and they end up calling off the match so Flair and Gigante can go at it. The Horsemen end up attacking him from behind. Flair beats the fuck out of him (seriously, listen to those chops!) until the Steiners and Pillman quickly run them off.

I actually really liked this segment. Flair was great!

• 4 weeks later...

"Tell me once again, what is it that you want?"

It's an odd thing to notice but Arn is particularly great for such a quick cameo. As the other Horsemen are beating on Gigante indiscriminately, Arn is working over his legs. At the sign-off he's still attempting to sneak into the ring against the babyface army.

I guess we've established Gigante and Pillman as buddies at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Ross tries to interview El Gigante. He wants the belt! Flair interrupts and tries to do a face to face with El Gigante. Flair tries to show he is not bothered by Gigante. Flair strips down but the Horsemen attack Gigante from behind. Ross says we are out of time! That’s Tony’s line!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Between this and Sid's string of ripping jobbers off of stretchers really putting over his maniac potential, I'm glad to see there was some good build to the WarGames finish I've seen so many times (other than the infamous legitimate injury). I knew there were Flair/Gigante matches too but didn't really know the particulars.

• 5 weeks later...

The interview part of this was good, the beatdown not so much. If you want the fans to take Gigante seriously as a threat to Flair, he needs to be booked as literally unstoppable, just like Andre was. You can screw him out of the belt however you need to when the time comes, but he should have been beating the hell out of all four Horsemen by himself here. Even Sid should have been absolutely no match whatsoever. If you need to postpone this segment until after WarGames so as not to affect how that match is perceived, then fine, but when you do it, all four Horsemen should be disposed of like yesterday's trash, and Flair should have to be carried out unconscious, since you can't have blood on TBS. Anything else and Gigante is an absolute joke (which, of course, he turned out to be).

Just how bad was Gigante, really? Most big guys aren't much special because they can't move well, but I've never heard of another superheavyweight getting crapped all over the way Gigante was, except possibly Zeus (who was an actor who wrestled, not really a wrestler).

• GSR changed the title to [1991-02-02-WCW-Saturday Night] El Gigante and Four Horsemen