Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-08-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs Steve Austin & Rod Price

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

It's great to see Austin and Lawler on opposite sides in a match given plenty of time. It's not a singles match, but we also see Austin work with Jarrett and both are a treat. I love the headlockery and power spots with Austin and Lawler, and Austin's work really shows how much he improved in a short period of time. Price isn't much, but the other three are so interesting that I'm really not paying attention to that. For some reason, they keep blurring Jeanne's interference. Weird. I wouldn't call this a good match, but it's an interesting one.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I was tiring of the Adams feud (well, a little) but Austin & Jeannie are a good enough act that they deserve to interact with other parts of the roster, so seeing Lawler talk trash at Jeannie over the mic off the bat is a treat. Slow start but passable heel bullshit, and then we are mercifully protected from some shocking woman-on...man...violence? Either ESPN being weird again or Jerry Jarrett being super-duper careful in the wake of the KTVT cancellation. Oh, wait, Jeannie throwing powder is absolutely kosher. More promising stuff from Austin and I look forward to seeing him against new opponents.

• 3 weeks later...

They do the digital burry screen when Jeannie rakes Jarrett in the eyes. I guess this is fall out from issues last year. But then Jeannie uses powder and then don’t blur that out. So it must be direct contact between women/men that is not allowed. Was hoping for a bit more between Lawler/Austin but really just working the headlock against one another. Though it was nice to see Austin in there with somebody besides Adams.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As others have said, this was mainly interesting for Austin's interactions with Lawler and Jarrett. I noticed that they never referred to Rod Price by name, only as the California Stud. Yet another case of spreading McMahonitis.

The digitization every time Jeannie interfered was weird, but not half as weird as an intended kill shot with a chain not being the finish. I never thought I'd see the day when the use of a chain didn't result in a pin, assuming that the user attempted one.

Interesting that they're trying to push Austin as a power wrestler here when he spent most of his career as either a technician or a redneck brawler. He had the physique to pull it off at this time too.

Michael referred to promotions as syndications here, which I've never heard before. I've never heard them referred to as syndicates, the form he was trying for, either. I don't even know for sure if you would call the NWA a syndicate.

Price didn't look like a lot here, but I've heard that he improved as he went along. Let's hope we get a chance to see it.

I can't wait to see a Lawler/Austin singles match. Surely they tangled at least once before Steve left for Atlanta.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-08-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs Steve Austin & Rod Price