Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Danger Zone: Ric Flair

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Flair has glasses that make him look ancient. Combine it with the hairstyle and it's a very odd look. Flair rubs salt in the wounds of anyone who thought he was done, because he's back! Aside from the weird look, this actually feels more like an 80s TBS promo than anything he did in 1990. Have to laugh at Flair's pronunciation of El Gigante.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard Flair: newest member of the York Foundation? He recites his stock phrases and then focuses in on El Ji-gont-ee. This build...has not been terrible. The anecdotes I've read indicate that Flair/Gigante actually helped WCW's moribund house show business just because Flair was finally wrestling somebody who wasn't Sting or Luger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked Heyman sucking up to Flair so unabashedly. You don't often see that from heels, even toward other heels; most of the time, they either ignore each other or make snide remarks about each other. Flair was his normal self here, and his "mispronunciation" of Gigante was a neat psychological trick. Too bad Gigante probably didn't legitimately know what he was getting at, with his English being so poor.

With Pillman, Zenk, Tommy Rich (whom I know was a little past it, but was still a former World champion), Gigante and a few others, there were more than enough face challengers for Flair even at this late date. Why they kept going with Sting and Luger to the almost complete exclusion of everyone else in the company is something I don't understand. Didn't they realize that even the hottest matches and feuds cool down if they're overdone? Of course, Flair's unwillingness to drop the belt to Luger (which made Luger look like a choke artist every time they wrestled) and Sting's total failure as champion might have had something to do with those matchups not drawing, too.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Danger Zone: Ric Flair