Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert and Eric Embry

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Gilbert and Embry lose to Lawler and Jarrett when Lawler pins Gilbert. Embry blames Gilbert for the loss after the match and ends up attacking him. When Gilbert tries to fight back, Tom Pritchard attacks him from behind. Embry trash talks Lawler, telling him he didn't beat him at all, and lures him back into the ring. I'm sure the Gilbert babyface turn will be great, but I have really loved him as a heel, and I still think Gilbert vs Lawler had another few months of legs as a feud. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't believe someone else didn't come down to save the day here. Where was Dundee? Where was Jeff? It was open season on Lawler and Gilbert for way, way too long. I liked that they fought back a bit at the very end, and a bloody Eddie daring Embry to take his best shot was one of the best visuals in wrestling so far this year, but the Tennesseeans need to get themselves together before they fall too much further behind.

Did they end Lawler/Gilbert too soon? For this round, most definitely. But you know all it's going to take is a sideways glance before they're at it again even more heatedly than ever. Like Lawler/Dundee, Lawler/Idol, and even Lawler/Mantel, this is a war that will never truly be over, even if circumstance puts them on the same side at a given time.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert and Eric Embry