Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert / Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so Gilbert and Lawler as Tag Team Partners Who Hate Each Other does have potential, I must admit. That is the direction they are going now, as they have agreed to team to face Embry and Pritchard Wednesday night in Evansville. A pair of excellent promos hyping this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Great short promos here. It's not often that you see two people who are still presumably feuding take a break from that feud to be partners, common enemies or not. Usually at least a little time passes between the end of the feud and the start of the partnership. Then again, Memphis made its reputation playing by its own unique rules, as they are here.

I'm sure almost everyone watching in Evansville truly believed that Eddie was in cahoots with Embry and Prichard to get rid of Lawler, and that might not have been a bad direction to go in had they chosen to do so. I wish we had some clips from this match to see how it actually went down.

• 2 years later...

I love how Memphis will bring enemies in line with stuff like this. It has a very different feel than most wrestling storytelling. The Tennessee pride maybe trumping Lawler and Gilbert's hate is such a great story to throw in. Almost like a comic book reluctant team-up now that I think of it.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert / Interview: Jerry Lawler