Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett and J.C. Ice

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

These Memphis segments are killing me in how good they are. This is a promotion on a major hot streak. Jarrett tries to reason with JC Ice, who just laughs him off. He goes through the full biography of Dundee being born in Scotland, shipped to Australia, joining the circus and finally walking seven miles from the airport to Nick Gulas's office to ask for a job. Jarrett is sincere in his delivery and this is extremely well done. I was expecting him to get beat up, but he actually just walked away, believe it or not. That made it more poignant in some ways.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jarrett talks about all Bill Dundee has done to be successful in wrestling. He thinks JC Ice is a joke and makes him sick. Bill Dundee walked seven miles to the Memphis office to get a job. I had a Junior High School teacher who use to tell us all the time how he walks five miles to school each day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A stirring recap of the Superstar's story, and one that he couldn't have done himself as effectively, as good a talker as he is. He had to have a spokesman, and Jeff handled the job beautifully, mixing the story in with appeals to Jamie's conscience and reminders that others (such as Jeff himself) are second-generation wrestlers who owe everything they have past and present to the business. Unfortunately, we really don't get to see Jamie's response, as the segment cuts off with Dave telling Jamie that he hopes Jeff's speech will sink in.

The only other person who might have been able to do this segment is Lawler, but he's got other things on his mind and doesn't exactly strike me as the type to reason with someone who's gone astray. He'd have probably just belted Jamie in the mouth after a few minutes and walked away. Besides, his feud with Bill is just as legendary as their partnership, so who knows how close the two of them and their families are really supposed to be outside the ring in a kayfabe sense?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-23-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett and J.C. Ice