Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Brian Pillman and the Four Horsemen

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Forget what I said about Paul E. putting himself over and Arn's line not making sense. The payoff is pretty clever. I won't spoil it. Let's just say the Horsemen all swarm the ring and attack Pillman while Sting and the Steiners are already in Phoenix for War Games. The Horsemen injure Pillman's shoulder when Flair drops a nasty knee from the middle rope. I'm surprised to see JYD still in the promotion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This might be one of the last classic Horseman beatdowns. Bob and Paul sell it beautifully on commentary, Paul in particular. Even though he no doubt likes what he saw, he still has a hint of awe in his voice over the Horsemen actually being able to pull it off. This is tremendous, and a great payoff to the earlier Danger Zone interview.

Paul gets off a great line about Dusty's hotel room being raided as well, which Bob rather cheerily goes along with. That's what I liked about him: he didn't have the short fuse that some announcers had when it came to heel color men. He'd allow them to get their one-liners in (unless they were in unquestionably bad taste) while he took care of the action in the ring. Viewers knew that he was too decent of a man to agree with what the color guy might have said, but he didn't let it bother him or distract him from the issue at hand. Incredibly, it took him until his days in Smoky Mountain before he truly came into his own as one of the best announcers in the business.

• 9 months later...

Forget what I said about Paul E. putting himself over and Arn's line not making sense. The payoff is pretty clever. I won't spoil it. Let's just say the Horsemen all swarm the ring and attack Pillman while Sting and the Steiners are already in Phoenix for War Games. The Horsemen injure Pillman's shoulder when Flair drops a nasty knee from the middle rope. I'm surprised to see JYD still in the promotion.

Hey, JYD was the world six man champion at this point!

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Brian Pillman and the Four Horsemen