Photo

Lex Luger vs Dan Spivey (WCW Wrestle War 02/24/91)

WCW Wrestle War February 24 1991 Lex Luger Dan Spivey Phoenix 3*

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43420 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43420 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Surprisingly good match, with Luger working hard. He's added a lot of muscle since 1990 and is about to enter the phase where he looks ridiculous and slows down, but this is a good outing for sure. Spivey also works hard. I've always liked this show.

#3 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9081 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I thought this was a smartly worked match . I thought Ross helped by explaining the psychology of the match. I'm shocked how smooth the finish was. Both of these guys don't have the rep of being smooth.

#4 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

This is probably the second best Spivey singles match I've seen behind his match with Kawada. I know we've all said it plenty, but Luger was damn good from 1989 until right about this point. He worked hard, made his opponents look great with his bumping and selling, showed a lot of fire on his comebacks, stayed over regardless of the booking. He's clearly a guy whose rep in the business seems way out of line with what the tapes show.

#5 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Years back -- we're talking long before the DVD era, the guy I bought tapes from was kind of to put together an awesome Luger comp at my request. Started with a couple early Flair matches from Florida and culminated before he was given the title after Flair left. Really wish I still had that.

#6 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have a good 12-disc Luger comp from a guy who used to trade as BNewt. Starts with some Florida stuff and runs through the Superbrawl match with Sting in '92.

#7 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9050 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Luger continues his unbelievable PPV hot streak--a better streak than Flair's at this time, in fact. Spivey busts out all kinds of cool offense centered around Lex's neck. Not all of it is executed great but in some cases that just adds to the danger effect. In particular his reverse flying elbow looks absolutely devastating--I daresay more devastating than any Tenryu elbow. Dan works hard but is pretty charismatically challenged--Luger works hard and has the crowd way into this. The end result is one of the great synergy matches in wrestling history.

#8 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Spivey gets the Tombstone piledriver. Spivey gets a lot of offense in and seems an even match for Luger which kind of surprised me. Good match with Luger winning off a reversal too. Spivey was a serious challenger here.

#9 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10084 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Don't know what all Spivey did to earn this shot and he has looked absolutely awful in the 1989 stuff so I was kind of pessimistic going in. Spivey is still somewhat reckless here although not as reckless as we have seen and the match actually builds to an exciting climax and they pull off a lot more complicated moves than I would have figured. Pleasant surprise and big testament to Luger.

#10 Smack2k

Smack2k
  • Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Jump someone on TV in a tag Title match, get shot at person's singles title on next PPV.....its in the rule book! The really is Luger's last big stage match as mobile and limber Lex, before stiff, too big, and not very limber Lex took over...

#11 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

I was especially impressed by Spivey here. This was the biggest single match of his career, at least in America, and he wrestled like it. I loved him busting out all the offense on Luger's neck, which made it seem like he had a real game plan. Most big guys don't wrestle methodically as often as they should; they just try to pound people into submission. You can tell that Dusty liked what he saw, too. If Spivey had chosen to stay here full-time, he might have gotten a pretty big push.

We're not used to seeing Luger on the defensive, but he took to that role pretty easily. He absorbed his beating well, then executed the finish flawlessly. That's not a finish that's done often with two real heavyweights, mostly because they're not coordinated enough to do it. Seldom has Luger had to pull victory from the jaws of defeat like he had to here.

JR and Dusty were really good, but I think I caught one of the reasons Dusty didn't do much commentary. Early on, JR starts talking about Luger and Spivey's football backgrounds, as he often does, and Dusty cuts him off in a way that suggests Virgil Runnels the booker telling his announcer to shut up. I don't think JR cared for it much, although he didn't let it show on the air. Dusty did just one more pay-per-view (SuperBrawl) with JR before Tony Schiavone took over the color role. Knowing how much Dusty liked being out front, I wonder if that was his decision or if JR complained to the suits that Dusty was cramping his style. Remember, JR was also working for the Falcons at this time, so he may not have appreciated having his more legitimate sport being dismissed so rudely, even by his boss.

I thought that the wrestlers could use either ring to fight in when the arena was set up for WarGames, but apparently not. You can hear Nick Patrick forcefully telling Spivey to bring Luger back into this ring (the one they began the match in) and starting a DQ count when Luger lands in the other ring as a result of some Spivey offense  Strangely enough, I've seen other regular matches on other cards with multiple-ring setups go back and forth between the rings without a peep from the ref. Maybe Nick just didn't feel like going back and forth.     

I wish we'd had time for a rematch, as this feud looked like it had some staying power and the potential for more solid matches.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WCW, Wrestle War, February 24, 1991, Lex Luger, Dan Spivey, Phoenix, 3*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users