Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-27-FMW] Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

I was hoping to get into this more, but Combat Toyoda is really too much of a poor man's version of Aja Kong. I like Kudo and I usually appreciate the way she paces matches, but I'm not crazy about her in this match either. The '96 death match is such an epic that I thought an earlier match between them might be a hidden gem. Not so much.

• 1 month later...

There wasn't much to this. Hard to get into Combat as a monster in the face of seeing work from Bull Nakano and Aja Kong and when all I can think of when seeing her is "Butch Japanese Cyndi Lauper." She's not terrible but there's no charisma or panache to her performance at all--it's all "this is where I scream, this is where I use a chain, this is where I hold my throat in pain" as though she's working off of crib notes. Kudo provides a few near falls and this is bland and inoffensive but not really an auspicious Yearbook debut for either woman.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I think those before me have said it all, really. I will admit that I was surprised Megumi got as much offense as she did. It might have behooved Combat for this one to be more of a squash which would really get her over as a monster.

Apparently, there's more to come from these two based on the postmatch. Hopefully, the matches will get better the more they work together.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-02-27-FMW] Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda