Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-15-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Tom Prichard

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

This was awesome! As an actual *wrestling* match, this is the best thing the USWA has had in 1990 or 1991. I love the finish of Pritchard wrapping something around his foot so he could kick Jarrett coming off the ropes then give him a nasty enzuigiri. Lots of great nearfalls as well. I am looking forward to watching this feud progress, and I'm glad we have so many more matches to see between them.

• 4 weeks later...

This was a hell of a match and another notch in Jarrett's case as one of the best wrestlers in the U.S. Pritchard was terrific as well. Even the simplest stuff seemed tightly worked, and they did a great job with the finishing stretch. Strictly in terms of matches, 1991 USWA has outpaced 1990 USWA.

I thought this started a little slow for it to be ahead of Jarrett/Gilbert as far as Memphis-Texas MOTY, but it finished very strong. Good near-falls and a really fun twist on the cliched foreign object finish, with Prichard slipping a plate over his boot and cold-cocking Jarrett with an enzuigiri instead of using a chain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I loved this. The arm work looked rugged. All of the other spots like the kip up into a punch looked really crisp and the finishing run was really hot. Pritchard is someone I go back and forth on but he really impressed me here and I'm excited about this feud as a whole.

• 1 year later...

This was kind of by-the-numbers. That's not a bad thing, really; it was more like an introduction to the fans of who's what in this feud and what they're bringing to the table. Both men worked well on the mat, with Jeff getting the advantage, and both men brawled really well, with Dr. Tom getting the advantage. So it came down to sneakiness, and that's what tipped the scales in Dr. Tom's favor today. Next up: How will Jeff counter the loaded boot in the rematch?

Tony Falk really had a case of the slowskis in this match; his counts weren't as slow as some of the Mexican counts I've seen in these yearbooks, but they were about as slow as anything I've seen out of an American referee.

It's nice to finally see Dr. Tom in the ring for more than just an isolated clip here and there. The man obviously has the tools, and even though he cheated to win, he still has a victory over Jeff at this point. The rematches, both in Dallas and on the Memphis loop, ought to be something else.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-01-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Tom Prichard
  • 1 year later...

Jarrett looks like a guy who would of been a top guy if he came around five years earlier. He's got the Southern heartthrob babyface thing nailed down, it just feels a bit outdated by 1991. Tom Prichard was also great in this. His stooges around and cheats with the help of his manager, Tojo Yamamto. 

★★★

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1991-03-15-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Tom Prichard