Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-03-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Wrestlemania VII Report

Loss

• 1 month later...

The real highlight here is that when Martel is doing his promo, the line on the wall behind him looks like it's actually going through his head. The fake Queen of England makes an appearance, as does the Real Willie Nelson. I wonder if Dusty's feelings were hurt. Regis Philbin is worried about guest hosting Wrestlemania.

• 1 month later...

More greatness from Savage. YOU WILL LEARN CHARACTER, AND YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO LOSE AT WRESTLEMANIA VII. Warrior makes a prescient prediction of how the finish to the match will go. Good stuff from Martel and Jake--I can't believe it took this long to get to "Snake Eyes" as a theme for the match. Okerlund would love to have the opportunity to harmonize with Willie Nelson--is that what they were calling it on the streets in '91? I'm about sick to death of shirtless Regis Philbin.

Clearly way too many matches on this card, the effects of which would show greatly.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Macho as usual but I had to watch it again just to watch Sherri. She was making the crazy faces and rocking the bowler hat.

I don’t get them trying to make the Queen of England to be a heel going against Bulldog. So random.

Regis looks to be doing his segment on the same stage that the Queen used. They still don’t mention the venue of WrestleMania.

• 2 months later...

TOns of stuff going on in this one.

Macho's promo seemed a little subtle in the fact that he wasn't as "Macho King" as we have seen before. No scepter and his outfit looked like something from the slim jim era. He gives another good promo here.

I also liked seeing the celebrities actually look comfortable in doing their spots to promote the show.

One thing about this show is that on paper Valentine vs. Quake and Bulldog vs. Warlord look like filler matches so to speak but really besides the Bravo vs. KVE match, everything on WM 7 has gotten a bit of hype and made sense making them more than filler matches in the bigger context. This has been one of my favorite builds to a WM and it is a shame that they hastily booked the Coliseum making this show forever seen as a financial disappointment.

• 1 year later...

There's too much going on here to comment on it all, but I'll try my best.

The Savage/Warrior promos are getting less hokey by the week. They're deemphasizing the King gimmick for Savage and getting him back to his roots as Captain Weirdo (that's a compliment, by the way). He never really needed the crown in the first place. It'll be a shame to see him break up with Sherri, though. As great as the Liz reunion was, she had no real interest in performing anymore, so a part of his character died when Sherri left. As for Warrior, other than telling Savage to file for bankruptcy (Chapter 13), he's more on point than he has been in months. I liked how they explained the absence of the scepter by having Randy say that he didn't need it now that he'd knocked Warrior's brains loose with it.

Jake and Martel were short and sweet. Like Pete, I'm wondering why the "snake eyes" references are only starting. Maybe Jake felt they were too obvious, although that doesn't explain Martel.

Nothing from Virgil and Piper or Teddy, which shocks me. Gene references an earlier incident from this show that didn't make the set. Can anyone fill us in?

Another surprise: None of the three title matches get promos. We heard from Hogan earlier, but nothing from either champions or challengers otherwise. The LOD has a few words for Herc and Romeo, and that's it for the wrestlers (I think).

Willie and Regis sound natural in their promos. The "Hulk rules and Willie sings" line sounds good enough to be ad-libbed (though I know it wasn't).Count me in for that Okerlund/Nelson duet!

I almost forgot the "Queen of England", and I wish I had. I still don't get the point, and I still say it looks and sounds more like Margaret Thatcher than Her Royal Highness.

No mention of the instant replay thing. I'm guessing this is when Costas pulled out over the Slaughter angle. No mention of Alex Trebek yet, either.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-03-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Wrestlemania VII Report