Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-09-WWF-Superstars] Update: Virgil/Ted Dibiase update

Loss

• 1 month later...

They announce that Piper has been in a motorcycle accident, but that he will definitely be in Virgil's corner at Wrestlemania. They recap the Virgil babyface turn from the Rumble, along with a recent Virgil vs Haku match with Piper and DiBiase in the respective corners. Virgil gets a big upset after a Piper distraction. We close out with a promo from DiBiase. I love this feud.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We finally hear something from Teddy about this feud. It seems like they were trying to imply that he had something to do with Piper's accident, which would have been a little added fuel to the fire had they chosen to go there.

Virgil beating Haku seems like a big deal until you consider that Haku was just kind of playing out the string; he wasn't even in a singles bout at Mania. It's still an upset, but not as monumental as it would have been a couple of years prior.

I loved Piper not being able to watch as Virgil scored the three count. Also, did anyone catch Heenan just shrugging and walking away while Teddy lost his mind? That was a perfect reaction; it's like he was saying to Teddy, "Oh, well, pal, you're on your own. This isn't our fight anymore."

I loved Mean Gene chastising Piper in the opening by comparing him to Evel Knievel. Gene's really been on top of his game so far this year, more so than in the last few. You'd have to go back to the height of the Rock 'n' Wrestling boom to see more consistent good work from him.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-09-WWF-Superstars] Update: Virgil/Ted Dibiase update