Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-14-NJPW-Big Fight Series] Jushin Liger vs Norio Honaga

Loss

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to see so many singles matches between these two coming, as Liger vs Honaga was one of my favorite matches of 1992. Honaga scores a big upset here, and Saito is at ringside to cheer on his partner. Honaga is not your typical Liger opponent. There's almost no high flying. Everything is just about being an asshole and using very basic, effective wrestling moves. This was really good, and seemed to be more of a setup for things to come. Liger is unhappy about being screwed over and they tease an altercation with a suit-clad Akira Nogami, who is standing at ringside after the match, but nothing comes of it.

I really liked this. It had a basic storyline to it. With some cool Liger spots sprinkled in. Honaga being a prick and using rough house tactics was great. He did a good job targeting Liger's back and ribs. Liger would fight back. It was an easy story to follow along with. I thought the finish sucked . It had the Estrada chain match vibe to it.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't a classic, but it's definitely ammo for those who like New Japan's variety over All-Japan's sheer vastness of "epic" matches. I can't fathom a '90s AJPW match worked mainly around a removed turnbuckle pad. Honaga barely even looks like an athlete but is a willing bleeder who projects "scuzzball heel" pretty well, though there are other juniors who did it better. Just when he looks down and defeated, Honaga utilizes a Hiro Saito distraction to come back and get a fluke pin. Didn't have problems with the finish myself, mainly because Liger is so fantastic at struggling to escape pin attempts--I could be entertained by attempted Liger kickouts all day.

• 3 weeks later...

Liger was distracted by Saito. Agreed with the other posters that this is a different type of Junior match with Honaga. Lack of high flying moves does not hurt match at all. Surprise result with Honaga winning. Saito did his part in getting to Liger. Liger is not happy and starts making challenges.

• 1 month later...

Honaga wasn't exactly Mr. Charisma but did have some ring presence. He dominated the early stages by the ill virtues of heelishness. Liger came back and busted him. Shame it ended so abruptly as things were going well.

• 3 weeks later...

Along with the consensus that this was a nice find and if it is the first of things to come, I welcome it. Honaga started the match off hot and remained focus on his attack of Liger. They also did a great job in making the upset seem logical but not predictable. Bolsters the case that there was some variety in 1990 New Japan junior matches.

• 1 year later...

This was a very American match, in that the heel used rough (and sometimes) illegal tactics while the face sold and got enough offense in to keep the audience engaged, only to be screwed by a distraction in the end. We see it all the time here, but not so much in Japan, where they like their matches a bit "purer", if you will. Honaga was the star of the match here, with his basic but effective work on Liger's ribs and back. Liger can talk about how Saito interfered all day long, but he was well on his way to losing this match before Saito ever got involved.

I thought I recognized Saito, but I couldn't begin to guess what his issue with Liger might be; I didn't know that he and Honaga were tag team partners. Yet another nifty American touch.

They also used this bout to build to the Liger/Nogami match the following week through what I'm assuming were allegations by Liger that Nogami was in on the Saito/Honaga plot to beat him. Nogami looked very offended at that notion and had to be restrained by his handlers, which means that their Starrcade in Tokyo match ought to be one hot encounter, to say the least.

I can't wait for the rematches between these two, as they seem to complement each other very well.

• 1 year later...

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion Jushin Liger vs Norio Honaga - NJPW 3/14/91 Non-Title

SOLD! I was skeptical about this run of Liger's career against Honaga and AKIRA because neither is famous. I have never even seen a Honaga match. I am totally sold on him and this feud after this match. What an amazing dick heel performance. You had everything you want from focused attack on body part (ribs), jumping from outset, hanging him out to dry on the railing, then the exposed turnbuckle, Liger gets chippy that means BALLSHOT, great gutbuster, chair attacks, choking with ropes! It was just the most flagrant heel work and I loved it. He could have had better facial expressions and body language, but actions were great. Liger firing by busting this asshole wide open with a turnbuckle shot was glorious. Liger just dismantles him with his badass offense while Honaga is bleeding a gusher. Then Honaga's buddy distracts him German 1..2..NO! Like Liger is going to job to this chump. Clothesline and then clothesline from top rope 1...2..3!

WHAT!?1! The ref's reaction is priceless. He cant even believe he counted to three!!! Great babyface vs heel match. Simplest match to tell but so damn effective with Honaga committed to being a reprehensible heel and Liger is on top of his babyface game. All we needed was that super Liger comeback to make this classic. Loved this as a first match in the feud. ***3.4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This was an unexpected match, but in such a good way. Honaga will sink to whatever depth he has to in order to beat Liger. And boy does LIger get PISSED about it! A fired-up Liger comeback is always great, made even better when his opponent goes out of his way to earn it.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-14-NJPW-Big Fight Series] Jushin Liger vs Norio Honaga
  • 1 year later...

Honaga acting as sleazy as he looks, blindsides Liger at start of the match and beats him down to gain an early advantage. Just when I was starting to tire of his offence, he hits Liger with a gorgeous looking piledriver. After his plan to slam Liger into the exposed turnbuckles backfire, Honaga bleeds a gusher and Liger mounts a comeback. Just when it looks like Liger has this won, Saito distracts him and costs him the match. I was not expecting that result.

★★★