Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-16-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: One Man Gang & Kevin Sullivan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Teddy Long has hired the One Man Gang and Kevin Sullivan to take out Ron Simmons. The look OMG and Sullivan were sporting during this time was crazy! Teddy Long has been a real highlight so far in 1991.

Simmons interrupts to tell Long if he's paid by the pound for One Man Gang, he's a broke man. Simmons really looks credible in the way he carries himself and I do think a slower climb to the top would have made him a star.

• 1 month later...

Gang is back and I always thought this gimmick with Sullivan was only a very slight step above Akeem in the dignity department. Gang makes goofy "crazy" faces while Sullivan rants, wearing eye shadow, red suspenders, and light blue pants. Simmons confronts OMG even though he really wants his hands on Reed, and dares Gang to enter the ring as we go off the air. Sullivan and Long make for a funny mismatched pair, with Sullivan doing his usual Satanic rant with Long as a one-man Baptist congregation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dusty overreached here a bit. Gang's evil enough on his own; he doesn't need Sully to brainwash him (which was apparently what they were going for). Just bring him out with Teddy as Teddy's new bodyguard/mercenary and you've got a ready-made feud. It isn't like Gang hasn't gotten over with an African-American manager before. Then again, Sully and Dusty are buddies from way back, so I guess they had to find something for him to do. By the way, I didn't mind the clothes so much, but the eye shadow Sully and Gang wore was absolutely horrible.

Simmons standing up to Gang was another important step in making him someone who the fans could believe in. I'd love to have seen that match the next night (I'm guessing on Main Event).

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-16-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: One Man Gang & Kevin Sullivan