Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-18-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Roddy Piper and Ted DiBiase

Loss

• 1 month later...

I love seeing two guys who have their acts down so well go back and forth like this. DiBiase is particularly great here. Virgil has one line to deliver, and it's amazing how well they are building this feud, considering that one of the participants can't really do much to add to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DiBiase takes a close look at Piper’s leg injury and lets him know he will be no help to Virgil at WrestleMania. Piper makes fun of DiBiase’s fake tuxedo. Piper and DiBiase have a good exchange with each other which had me feeling that it would have been nice to get a one on one feud between the two. I always thought that Piper was somewhat legit injured leading up to WrestleMania.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering the same thing about the motorcycle injury. Great stuff all around and this feels like the third most important match for mania ahead of the IC and Tag titles. In fact, I don't know how much there was to it but Nasties vs. Harts based on yearbook footage was around #6 on card importance.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd always wondered what Teddy guesting on Piper's Pit would have been like, and now I have my answer. This was first-rate stuff, and would have been even without Virgil coming in at the end. I loved how Teddy got into the flow of the back-and-forth with Piper while still staying in character, and the closeups we got of his face let us know that he would have liked nothing better than to just pound the hell out of an injured and defenseless Piper, but couldn't. Rod got plenty bold as a result; I especially liked the part where he informed the world that Teddy's tuxedo shirt had no back and proceeded to give Teddy his own shirt, which had a back. I wonder if he got heat for it, since the WWF designed Teddy's costume that way on purpose; in a way, it's like he was breaking kayfabe.

Virgil's not a good talker yet, but he gets his point across. Notice, though, that unlike most heels, Teddy doesn't run scared. It's a neat way of reminding the audience that, as far as he's come under Piper's tutelage, Virgil hasn't earned the respect that almost all other WWF wrestlers have. To get that respect, he'll have to beat Teddy at Mania, and with Piper injured and unable to help, he'll have to do it on his own.

Was Teddy wearing the Million Dollar Belt? I figured he would have shown it off at some point just to rub it in Piper and Virgil's faces.

With Piper still capable of doing verbal confrontations like these, it still amazes me why Vince turned to Beefcake as one of Brother Love's replacements. For that matter, I don't really understand why Percy and Taker got a segment so early on in their run, either. If I'd been Vince, I'd have run Piper's Pit as my main interview segment whenever Piper was on the active roster right up until he left for Atlanta.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-18-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Roddy Piper and Ted DiBiase