Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-23-WCW-Pro] Ron Simmons vs Rip Rogers

Loss

• 1 month later...

Looks like Ron kept the old music in the Doom divorce. This is a short, but really spot-on squash with Rip making Simmons look like a million bucks. Butch Reed attacks him after the match and they have a brawl around the ringside area. It seems like this feud should have been much more, if they really insisted on doing the breakup in the first place. This was a team that worked almost exclusively with main event singles wrestlers during their time as tag team champions, so it would have been cool to see this treated as more earth-shattering, instead of just another feud. Because it's WCW, this brawl - hot as it is - will never be mentioned again.

• 3 weeks later...

Simmons plays a brick wall and has some cool counter-spots of his own in addition to the selling and bumping from Rogers. He does come off as a future star here and there's big heat for the Reed run-in at the end. I guess things were up in the air as to whether Reed would stay in WCW at all or go back to rodeo--Meltzer reported a few times that Reed was out-and-out gone. Maybe WCW actually had an excuse for the tepid, stop-start nature of this feud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Short squash and Rogers did a good job making Ron look good but I am sad that this is what he is relegated to. The Doom brawl seemed pretty hot to me and they used it to sign off the show so at least on this show, they did a good job making it a pretty big deal.

• 1 year later...

They work the same match the same weekend on Worldwide, only the Reed fight is replaced with an ineffective masked (and tasseled) mercenary, whom Simmons piledrives, spinebusts, and finally unmasks as Marc Mero. Or as Tony calls him, "I don't know who that guy is." Great plan, Teddy!

• 4 weeks later...

A short squash during which Tony brings us up to date on the Simmons/Reed feud, which is apparently just heating up. After Simmons makes hash out of Rogers, Reed comes in, and we have a pretty intense brawl by syndicated show standards to close out the hour.

I like this version better than the masked man version that Worldwide had. I can't believe that they worked the same match move for move twice, with only the nature of the run-in changing. I can accept the fact that by now promotions redid bad matches or matches with some kind of technical difficulty, but redoing a match just to have a different person do a run-in, especially when that person doesn't show up again in the feud, is the height of ludicrous. Bischoff and Russo might have dug WCW's final grave, but the patient started to become ill under supposed "old-school" bookers Ole and Dusty.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-23-WCW-Pro] Ron Simmons vs Rip Rogers